What is the angle theta between vectors

In summary, the angle theta between vectors is the smallest angle formed between two vectors when placed tail-to-tail. It can range from 0 to 180 degrees and is calculated using the dot product or cross product of the vectors. The angle theta is significant in determining the relationship between vectors and is always measured as a positive value. It is directly related to the magnitude and direction of the vectors.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

What is the angle theta between vectors vec A and vec B if vec A = 4 -3 and
vec B = -2 + 5?

Homework Equations

arccos((a dot b)/(|a||b|))

The Attempt at a Solution

4*-2+-3*5=-23
sqrt(4^2+-3^2)*sqrt(-2^2+5^2)=10.39

arc
not sure what i am doing wrong but that's the equation i found online and i keep getting undefined when i plug it into my calculator

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you plugged in.

edited the question, but sorry i realized my error, had a mistake in the magnitudes, got the problem right

1. What is the definition of "angle theta" between vectors?

The angle theta between two vectors is the smallest angle formed between the two vectors when they are placed tail-to-tail. It is measured in radians or degrees and can range from 0 to 180 degrees.

2. How is the angle theta between vectors calculated?

The angle theta between vectors can be calculated using the dot product or cross product of the two vectors. The formula for dot product is theta = cos^-1((a • b) / (|a| * |b|)), while the formula for cross product is theta = sin^-1(|a x b| / (|a| * |b|)).

3. What is the significance of the angle theta between vectors?

The angle theta between vectors is important in determining the relationship between the two vectors. It can indicate if the vectors are parallel, perpendicular, or at an angle to each other. It is also used in various mathematical and physical calculations involving vectors.

4. Can the angle theta between vectors be negative?

No, the angle theta between vectors cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive value, ranging from 0 to 180 degrees. If the two vectors are in opposite directions, the angle theta would be 180 degrees.

5. How does the angle theta between vectors relate to the magnitude and direction of the vectors?

The angle theta between vectors is directly related to the magnitude and direction of the vectors. If the angle theta is 0 degrees, the vectors are in the same direction and have the same magnitude. If the angle theta is 90 degrees, the vectors are perpendicular to each other. And if the angle theta is 180 degrees, the vectors are in opposite directions and have the same magnitude.