Finding Angle Theta in Relativistic Skydiving Scenario

In summary: H, the opposite side of the triangle. Please be careful to label things and to not use the same symbol for different things.I can't follow what you did. I don't see h in any equation or drawing (do you mean H in the drawing?). I can't figure out why x-x0, which... is H, the opposite side of the triangle. Please be careful to label things and to not use the same symbol for different things.In summary, a skydiver strapped to a rocket and shot into outer space can make his arms into a 45° angle with respect to his body due to the lack of air resistance. To a stationary observer on the Moon, the angle at which the skydiv
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

A skydiver is strapped to a rocket and shot into outer space. There is no air resistance so he is able to make his arms into a 45° angle with respect to his body and pretend they are "wings." To a stationary observer on the Moon (we will consider the Moon stationary for our purposes), at what angle will it appear that he is holding out his arms with respect to his body when he goes speeding by head-first in the -x direction at speed v = 0.6c?

Homework Equations

Length contraction or Lorentz transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a Lorentz transformation, but I do not know how to get an angle theta. I only know of time dilation and length contraction niether have a theta in their equations so what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
jlmccart03 said:
so what am I missing?
Trigonometry. Consider the arms the hypothenuse of a right triangle with the body as one side.

Likes jlmccart03 and FactChecker
Think of a right triangle where his arm is the hypotenuse, the height is in the direction of travel and the base in perpendicular to the direction of travel. The Lorentz transformation changes the height but not the base. So the angle changes in a way that you can calculate.

Likes jlmccart03
FactChecker said:
Think of a right triangle where his arm is the hypotenuse, the height is in the direction of travel and the base in perpendicular to the direction of travel. The Lorentz transformation changes the height but not the base. So the angle changes in a way that you can calculate.
Ok, so I have a triangle where the hypotenuse is his arm and his body is one side of the triangle. Since in his frame of reference it is a 45, 45, 90 degree triangle I am now confused on how this changes in the reference frame of the observer? So from what you said, the hypotenuse is in the -x direction since that is the direction of travel. So using the pythagorean theorum I have √(v*t)2+h2 = c*t and I know v = 0.6c. Is that a step in the right direction? I have a feeling this is going to end up as two right triangles meshed together or is that wrong?

jlmccart03 said:
So from what you said, the hypotenuse is in the -x direction since that is the direction of travel
No, this is not correct. The arm is the hypothenuse and makes a 45 degree angle to the travel direction.

jlmccart03 said:
I have √(v*t)2+h2 = c*t
What is t doing in this equation? The question a priori has nothing to do with any particular time.

Orodruin said:
No, this is not correct. The arm is the hypothenuse and makes a 45 degree angle to the travel direction.What is t doing in this equation? The question a priori has nothing to do with any particular time.
I was following a lecture slide and thought time was somehow related, but its not. So I need to find a way of having a triangle with the length contraction form of x = x0/ϒ. Is that what I am trying to do? And I drew a triangle with the 90 angle at his head, and then an leg on his arm, a leg from his head to shoulder, and a leg from head to hand correct?

Orodruin said:
No, this is not correct. The arm is the hypothenuse and makes a 45 degree angle to the travel direction.What is t doing in this equation? The question a priori has nothing to do with any particular time.
Ok, I think I solved it. I know that x = x0/gamma. Gamma is found by taking 1/(√(1-(0.6c)2/c2) or 1.25 when solved. Then looking at the triangle I want the angle between his arm and shoulder basically. That means I take tan(θ) = opp/adj or x0/(x0/1.25) which is arctan(1.25) = 51.34°. Correct?

That doesn't sound right. I suspect that you are trying to do this in your head without drawing it out and am getting things confused. Make a drawing of the still right triangle with a 45° angle. Change the side (sides?) that should change when it is moving with respect to the Moon (draw the direction of motion). Then do some trig.

FactChecker said:
That doesn't sound right. I suspect that you are trying to do this in your head without drawing it out and am getting things confused. Make a drawing of the still right triangle with a 45° angle. Change the side (sides?) that should change when it is moving with respect to the Moon (draw the direction of motion). Then do some trig.
This is my picture.

Attachments

• IMG_5756.JPG
    IMG_5756.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 402
And which direction is he going in? It looks like your equation is for him going sideways. Also, double check what you are considering opposite and adjacent.

FactChecker said:
And which direction is he going in? It looks like your equation is for him going sideways. Also, double check what you are considering opposite and adjacent.
So I changed it up and realized that tan(θ) should be x0/-x, but I still get 51.34° just negative. Here is my picture now.

EDIT: I noticed that h=x-x0 so I ended up getting 71° by taking arctan(x0/x-x0).

Attachments

• IMG_5757.JPG
    IMG_5757.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 401
Why are both your opposite and adjacent sides of the triangle based on x0? Don't get the sides confused. You should take a second look at the triangles and trig.

FactChecker said:
Why are both your opposite and adjacent sides of the triangle based on x0? Don't get the sides confused. You should take a second look at the triangles and trig.
Are they supposed to be based on X? I simply solved for h and got x-x0. It simplified very nicely, but i don't know how else to set it up. I know his arm has to be x0 since it's the proper length making the perpendicular leg x and the parallel leg h. Right?

I can't follow what you did. I don't see h in any equation or drawing (do you mean H in the drawing?). I can't figure out why x-x0, which is hypotenuse - oneSide, should appear in any equation. And why is tan(θ) = oneSide/hypotenuse? That is sin(θ). I give up.

FactChecker said:
I can't follow what you did. I don't see h in any equation or drawing (do you mean H in the drawing?). I can't figure out why x-x0, which is hypotenuse - oneSide, should appear in any equation. And why is tan(θ) = oneSide/hypotenuse? That is sin(θ). I give up.
As I thought I said, I took H to be the parallel leg to his motion. I then solved for it in terms of x and x0. The hypotenuse is x0 the PROPER LENGTH of my Lorentz factor. That's all I did. I used trig to find h in terms of x and x0. I have no idea what you are trying to convey. But thanks for giving up! Really helpful...

EDIT: the equation WITH h is simply tan(theta)=x/h. Now what in the world is h? I was never given anything for h.

jlmccart03 said:
As I thought I said, I took H to be the parallel leg to his motion. I then solved for it in terms of x and x0. The hypotenuse is x0 the PROPER LENGTH of my Lorentz factor. That's all I did. I used trig to find h in terms of x and x0. I have no idea what you are trying to convey. But thanks for giving up! Really helpful...

EDIT: the equation WITH h is simply tan(theta)=x/h. Now what in the world is h? I was never given anything for h.
Sorry. What is 'h' in the diagram? Your calculations may be right, but I just can't follow what you are doing. Maybe someone else can understand better.

FactChecker said:
Sorry. What is 'h' in the diagram? Your calculations may be right, but I just can't follow what you are doing. Maybe someone else can understand better.
No worries, this is my diagram. "h" is the leg parallel to the -x direction. It's basically the part from his shoulder to his lower head. So the neck I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_5778.JPG
    IMG_5778.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 420
Looks right to me. The foreshortening is along the length of his body, so his arms Will appear more horizontal, giving a greater angle with the body.

Except of course you want x0/H for the tangent. But except for this typo, the rest appears correct.

Hendrik Boom said:
Looks right to me. The foreshortening is along the length of his body, so his arms Will appear more horizontal, giving a greater angle with the body.

Except of course you want x0/H for the tangent. But except for this typo, the rest appears correct.
Yeah I checked with a classmate of mine and they got 51 degrees and then the solutions also showed so by my professor. I will be more clear next time as I can see many areas causing confusion. Thanks for the help everyone!

1. What is angle theta in relativity?

Angle theta, also known as the relativistic angle, is a concept in Einstein's theory of relativity that represents the angle between two vectors in four-dimensional spacetime.

2. Why is angle theta important in relativity?

In relativity, the angle theta is important because it allows us to calculate how much a moving object is rotated in space and time due to the effects of gravity and acceleration.

3. How does relativity affect the measurement of angle theta?

In relativity, the measurement of angle theta is affected by the curvature of spacetime, as well as the relative velocities of the objects involved. This can lead to differences in the calculated angle compared to what would be observed in classical physics.

4. Can angle theta be measured experimentally?

Yes, angle theta can be measured experimentally using techniques such as interferometry or laser ranging. However, due to the small magnitudes of relativistic effects, precise measurements and advanced technology are required.

5. Is there an equation for calculating angle theta using relativity?

Yes, there is an equation for calculating angle theta in relativity, known as the Lorentz transformation. This equation takes into account the relative velocities and the curvature of spacetime to determine the angle between two vectors in four-dimensional space.