1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a pulley

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Two pulleys are glued together and placed on a common axis. The total moment of interia for the pulleys is 22.0 kgm^2. The radius of the smaller pulley is 0.170 meters and hanging from it is a mass 5.94 kg. The large pulley has a radius of 0.510 meters and hanging from it is a mass of 8.41 kg. If the axle is frictionless:
    a) What is the angular acceleration of the pulley?
    b) What is the linear acceleration of the mass, m1?
    c) What is the angular acceleration of the mass, m2?

Let me know at cosmokramer24@hotmail.com
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you making any effort on these?
  4. Nov 8, 2004 #3
    No thanks, I just did about fifteen rotational motion problems. FYI, you cannot just post your homework problems and ask people to solve them for you. No one will do that. What you should do is explain what about the problem you don't understand, and maybe somebody will help you conceptually.
  5. Apr 9, 2005 #4
    ummm...i'm a little confused about this problem too...I just need to know how to do a, and then I could go on from then.
    Ok...so we're given the Inertia value right? so then torque = I times angular acceleration (Let's say it's @). And then TR1-TR2=I@. But then, how can you find tension when it's T=m(g-a), since we don't know what a is? Man, the more I do it, the more confused I get.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?