Angular acceleration of a pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two pulleys glued together on a common axis. The total moment of inertia for the pulleys is 22.0 kgm^2, with a smaller pulley of radius 0.170 meters and a larger pulley of radius 0.510 meters. Hanging from the smaller pulley is a mass of 5.94 kg, while a mass of 8.41 kg hangs from the larger pulley. The question asks for the angular acceleration of the pulley, the linear acceleration of the smaller mass, and the angular acceleration of the larger mass, assuming a frictionless axle. To solve for the angular acceleration, torque is calculated using the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration
cosmokramer
Two pulleys are glued together and placed on a common axis. The total moment of interia for the pulleys is 22.0 kgm^2. The radius of the smaller pulley is 0.170 meters and hanging from it is a mass 5.94 kg. The large pulley has a radius of 0.510 meters and hanging from it is a mass of 8.41 kg. If the axle is frictionless:
a) What is the angular acceleration of the pulley?
rad/s^2
b) What is the linear acceleration of the mass, m1?
m/s^2
c) What is the angular acceleration of the mass, m2?
m/s^2

Let me know at cosmokramer24@hotmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you making any effort on these?

No thanks, I just did about fifteen rotational motion problems. FYI, you cannot just post your homework problems and ask people to solve them for you. No one will do that. What you should do is explain what about the problem you don't understand, and maybe somebody will help you conceptually.

ummm...i'm a little confused about this problem too...I just need to know how to do a, and then I could go on from then.
Ok...so we're given the Inertia value right? so then torque = I times angular acceleration (Let's say it's @). And then TR1-TR2=I@. But then, how can you find tension when it's T=m(g-a), since we don't know what a is? Man, the more I do it, the more confused I get.

1. What is angular acceleration of a pulley?

The angular acceleration of a pulley is the rate of change of its angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the rotational speed of the pulley is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is angular acceleration of a pulley calculated?

The angular acceleration of a pulley can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

3. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a pulley?

The angular acceleration of a pulley can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the pulley, the radius of the pulley, the force applied to the pulley, and any external forces acting on the pulley.

4. How does the angular acceleration of a pulley affect its motion?

The angular acceleration of a pulley determines the rate at which the pulley is rotating. A higher angular acceleration will result in a faster rotation, while a lower angular acceleration will result in a slower rotation. Additionally, the direction of the angular acceleration will determine whether the pulley is speeding up or slowing down.

5. Can the angular acceleration of a pulley be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a pulley can be negative. This indicates that the pulley is slowing down or rotating in the opposite direction as its initial motion. A positive angular acceleration, on the other hand, indicates that the pulley is speeding up or rotating in the same direction as its initial motion.