Calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy and Instantaneous Rate of Change

In summary, a hoop of mass 1kg and radius 2m is rotating about its center with an angular speed of 3rad/sec. A force of 10N is applied tangentially at the rim. The rotational kinetic energy of the hoop is 9J. The instantaneous rate at which the kinetic energy is changing is 5 rad/sec^2.
tachu101

Homework Statement

A hoop of mass 1kg and radius 2m is rotating about its center with an angular speed of 3rad/sec. A force of 10N is applied tangentially at the rim.

a. The rotational kinetic energy of the hoop is?
b. The instantaneous rate at which the kinetic energy is changing is?

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I can find I= MR^2 for a hoop, so I= (1)(2^2) so I=4. So KE= 1/2Iw^2 = (1/2)(4)(3^2)= 18. What do I do with the extra 10N applied (do I just add it in or does it not factor into the rotational kinetic energy?) I don't know what equation to use for the second part.

Physics news on Phys.org
tachu101 said:
A hoop of mass 1kg and radius 2m is rotating about its center with an angular speed of 3rad/sec. A force of 10N is applied tangentially at the rim.

a. The rotational kinetic energy of the hoop is?
b. The instantaneous rate at which the kinetic energy is changing is?

KE= 1/2Iw^2

What do I do with the extra 10N applied (do I just add it in or does it not factor into the rotational kinetic energy?) I don't know what equation to use for the second part.

Hi tachu101! :smile:

KE is geometric … it only depends on the motion, not on what's causing it. :wink:

So you only need the 10N for the second part …

and for that, what equation do you know that connects force and rotation? :smile:

For the second part would I use torque=Ia which would then be torque/I=a? Would that be (10)(2)/((1)(2^2))= 5 rad/sec^2 does that help me?

(have an omega: ω and an alpha: α and a delta: ∆ :wink:)
tachu101 said:
For the second part would I use torque=Ia which would then be torque/I=a? Would that be (10)(2)/((1)(2^2))= 5 rad/sec^2 …

Yup! :smile:

That gives you dω/dt, from which you could find dKE/dt.

But there's a more direct way …

remember, ∆KE = ∆(work done) …

so what is the equation for work done by a torque ? :wink:

W= torque* [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\Theta[/tex] which would then be (10)(2)*(3)= 60J ? And how would I get dKe/dt from dW/dt

tachu101 said:
W= torque* [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\Theta[/tex] which would then be (10)(2)*(3)= 60J ? And how would I get dKe/dt from dW/dt

uh … W= torque*∆θ, where ∆θ is the total change in angle, is correct :smile:

but 3 is not the total change in angle, it's only the rate-of-change of angle, dθ/dt …

you need dW/dt = d(torque*θ)/dt :wink:

hmmm... am I missing an equation because I am not sure how to find the d(torque*θ)/dt? Also, given that I found 5 rad/sec^2 how could I use that to find a change in KE?

tachu101 said:
hmmm... am I missing an equation because I am not sure how to find the d(torque*θ)/dt? Also, given that I found 5 rad/sec^2 how could I use that to find a change in KE?

The torque here is constant, so d(torque*θ)/dt = torque * dθ/dt = torque * ω.

(you could use the dω/dt = 5 if you differentiate 1/2 Iω2

but it's more direct if you use the work done method)

So is (10)(2)*(3)= 60J Correct?

tachu101 said:
So is (10)(2)*(3)= 60J Correct?

This would be easier to understand if you wrote it out in full …

but it's not joules anyway, is it?

Does the instantaneous change in KE equal torque * ω? Is torque (10)*(2)=20?

Instantaneous rate of change in KE equal torque * ω.

And yes, torque (10)*(2)=20. :smile:

In summary...

I think that part a is 9J because I think it is (1/2)(I)(w^2)= 9
Part b is then torque*W which is then (10)(2)*(3)= 60

tachu101 said:
In summary...

I think that part a is 9J because I think it is (1/2)(I)(w^2)= 9
Part b is then torque*W which is then (10)(2)*(3)= 60

I thought you got 18J for a? :confused:

Yup, b is 60. :smile:

I looked back and I think I missed a 1/2 in part a. It should be (1/2)((1/2)(1)(2^2))(3^2)= 9 I think I missed the 1/2 in the I value.

tachu101 said:
I looked back and I think I missed a 1/2 in part a. It should be (1/2)((1/2)(1)(2^2))(3^2)= 9 I think I missed the 1/2 in the I value.

What 1/2? :confused: … it's a hoop, not a disc.

Going to bed now … :zzz:

What is Angular Kinetic Energy?

Angular Kinetic Energy is a type of energy associated with the rotation or movement of an object around an axis. It is a measure of the object's resistance to change in its rotational motion.

How is Angular Kinetic Energy calculated?

Angular Kinetic Energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the object, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between Linear and Angular Kinetic Energy?

The main difference between Linear and Angular Kinetic Energy is the type of motion they are associated with. Linear Kinetic Energy is associated with the translational motion of an object, while Angular Kinetic Energy is associated with the rotational motion of an object.

What are some real-life examples of Angular Kinetic Energy?

Some real-life examples of Angular Kinetic Energy include a spinning top, a rotating fan, a spinning wheel on a bicycle, and a wind turbine.

How is Angular Kinetic Energy related to Angular Momentum?

Angular Kinetic Energy and Angular Momentum are closely related, as they both depend on the moment of inertia and angular velocity of an object. Angular Momentum is a vector quantity that describes the amount of rotational motion an object has, while Angular Kinetic Energy is a scalar quantity that represents the energy associated with that rotational motion.