What is the value of vp for a particle ejected from a rotating rod?

The angular momentum of the rod about the center is Iw = (1/12)ML^2 * w. Set these two equal and solve for the velocity of the particle: vp = (Iw - mvr)/m = (1/12)ML^2 * w - mvr/m. The velocity of the end of the rod just after ejection is wL/2, so the velocity of the particle is vp = (1/12)ML^2 * w - mvr/m = wL/2 + 6.00 m/s. Simplify and solve for w: w = 6.00 m/s / (L/2 + r) = 6.00 m/s / (
snoggerT
The figure below is of an overhead view of a thin uniform rod of length 0.790 m and mass M rotating horizontally at angular speed 22.0 rad/s about an axis through its center. A particle of mass M/3.00 attached to one end is ejected from the rod and travels along a path that is perpendicular to the rod at the instant of ejection. If the particle's speed vp is 6.00 m/s greater than the speed of the end of the rod just after ejection, what is the value of vp?
W0245-N.jpg

Li=Lf, L=Iw, l=rmv

The Attempt at a Solution

- I haven't been able to attempt this problem because I'm having problems setting it up. I'm trying to set up the initial side right now and I am using 1/12ML^2 for the rod, but unsure what to use for the particle since it's inside of the rod. I think I can solve the problem if I can get past this step.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of angular momentum. The angular momentum of the particle about the center is mvr

I would suggest using the conservation of angular momentum to solve this problem. The initial angular momentum of the system is equal to the final angular momentum, which can be represented as Li = Lf. The initial angular momentum can be calculated using the formula L = Iw, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity.

For the initial side of the equation, you are correct in using 1/12ML^2 for the rod's moment of inertia. As for the particle, since it is attached to the end of the rod, its moment of inertia can be calculated as I = (1/3)M(L/2)^2 = (1/12)ML^2. This is because the particle's distance from the axis of rotation is half the length of the rod.

Now, for the final side of the equation, we need to consider the change in angular momentum due to the ejection of the particle. The particle's initial angular momentum is zero since it is attached to the rod. However, after ejection, its angular momentum will be Mvp, where vp is the particle's linear velocity. The rod's final angular momentum will be (1/12)ML^2 * 22, as it is still rotating at the same angular velocity.

Setting the initial and final sides of the equation equal to each other, we get (1/12)ML^2 * 22 = (1/12)ML^2 * 22 + Mvp. Solving for vp, we get vp = (1/12)ML^2 * 22 / M = (1/12)L^2 * 22. Plugging in the given values of M = 3M/3 and L = 0.790 m, we get vp = 6.00 m/s, which is the particle's speed.

FAQ: What is the value of vp for a particle ejected from a rotating rod?

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is Angular Momentum Calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion, while angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

3. What is the Angular Momentum of a Rod?

The angular momentum of a rod is the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. The moment of inertia of a rod depends on its mass, length, and distribution of mass from its axis of rotation. The angular velocity of a rod depends on its rotational speed and the distance from its axis of rotation.

4. How Does Angular Momentum Change for a Rotating Rod?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a rotating rod will remain constant unless an external force is applied to change its rotational motion.

5. How Can Angular Momentum of a Rod be Used?

The concept of angular momentum is used in various applications, such as understanding the motion of planets and satellites, the behavior of spinning tops and gyroscopes, and in engineering fields like robotics and aerospace. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to control rotational motion and perform complex movements.