Angular Momentum of Point Masses

In summary, the moment of inertia of the system with four attached point masses is found to be m(2s)^2+2m(s)^2+4m(s^2) using the formula for the moment of inertia of a set of point masses and accounting for the parallel axis theorem. This leads to correct answers for the magnitude of angular momentum of the rod in different cases, such as when the axis of rotation passes through a specific point or the center of mass of the configuration.
postfan

Homework Statement

A light rigid rod of length 3s where s = 1.5 m has small spheres of masses m = 0.24 kg, 2m, 3m and 4m attached as shown. The rod is spinning in a horizontal plane with angular speed w = 2.5 rad/s about a vertical axis.

Find the magnitude of angular momentum of the rod in each case. Enter your answers in [kg.m2.s-1].

Part A. The axis of rotation is passing through mass m.
Part B. The axis of rotation is passing through mass 2m.
Part C. The axis of rotation is passing through mass 3m.
Part D. The axis of rotation is passing through mass 4m.
Part E. The axis of rotation is passing through the center of mass of the configuration.
Part F. The axis of rotation is passing through the midpoint of the rod.

Homework Equations

L=I_cm*w

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the center of mass which is s/2

(Part A) Used the parallel axis theorem and got:
(m*9s^2/12+4s^2*m)*w=19/4*ms^2*w=4.75*.24*1.5^2*.25=6.4125, which is wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• BK103.PNG
    BK103.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think the C. o. M. is at s/2. Show your calculation.

Taking the midpoint of the rod as 0:

m(-3s/2)+2m(-s/2)+3m(s/2)+4m(3s/2)

-3ms/2+3ms/2-ms+6ms=5ms/10m=s/2

Can't see what's wrong with it?

postfan said:
(Part A) Used the parallel axis theorem and got:
(m*9s^2/12+4s^2*m)*w
Show how you obtained those two terms inside the parentheses (m*9s^2/12 and 4s^2*m).

If you define 0 as the midpoint, then your calculated result is the displacement from the midpoint. Where is that?

voko-

The center of mass is at the 3m point.

D.M-

Center of mass around a point other that CM is = to ML^2/12+MD^2=M(3s)^2/12+M(2s)^2=
m*9s^2/12+4s^2*m

Last edited:
Indeed, the 3m mass is at the C. o. M.

Now, how do you compute the moment of inertia about the C. o. M.?

postfan said:
Center of mass around a point other that CM is = to ML^2/12+MD^2=M(3s)^2/12+M(2s)^2=
m*9s^2/12+4s^2*m
Neither one of those terms is correct.

ML2/12 is the moment of inertia of a thin rod of mass M and length L. You don't have a thin rod. You have four point masses attached to a light (i.e., essentially massless) rod. You can't use that formula for these point masses.

With regard to the second term, what is the total mass of the rod+ four point masses system?

Ok so is the MoI just M(2s)^2? The total mass of the system is 10m.

Don't just guess.

What's the moment of inertia of a single point mass m about some axis at some distance d from the axis?

What's the moment of inertia of a set of point masses mi about some axis, with point mass i at some distance di from the axis?

1.MoI=md^2
2.MoI=m_i*d_i^2

Is that right?

Yes, these are correct. Show how you calculate the moment of inertia about the C. o. M. using these formulae.

The MoI =m(2s)^2 right?

No, I do not think so. You have been asked to show how you compute that.

The distance between the point particle and the CM is 2s, hence d=2s.

There are four particles, not one.

OK so is the MoI = m(2s)^2+2m(s)^2+4m(s^2)/4?

What's that "/4" at the end?

The average of the four masses.

Why are you averaging? Once again,

D H said:
What's the moment of inertia of a set of point masses mi about some axis, with point mass i at some distance di from the axis?

Oh ok, so the MoI is m(2s)^2+2m(s)^2+4m(s^2), right?

Correct. Now what about that second term, the one due to the parallel axis theorem?

The second term is m(2s)^2, right?

Why m? What is the mass of the rid + four point masses system?

Oh the second term is 10m(2s^2), right?

OK, since I have got the correct moment of inertias and I know the angular velocity I have managed to get the right answers to the problems. Thanks for all your help!

Related to Angular Momentum of Point Masses

1. What is angular momentum of point masses?

Angular momentum of point masses is a measure of the rotational motion of a single point mass around an axis. It is a vector quantity, with direction perpendicular to both the axis of rotation and the linear velocity of the point mass.

2. How is angular momentum of point masses calculated?

The angular momentum of a point mass can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its linear velocity and the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point mass. The equation is L = mvr, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, v is linear velocity, and r is the distance.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that the angular momentum of a system before and after a rotational event will be equal.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect angular momentum?

The distribution of mass can affect angular momentum by changing the moment of inertia, which is a measure of how the mass is distributed around an axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia will result in a lower angular velocity and vice versa.

5. What are real-life examples of angular momentum of point masses?

Examples of angular momentum of point masses in real life include the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a swinging pendulum, and the orbit of planets around the sun. It can also be seen in sports, such as when a figure skater spins on the ice or when a pitcher throws a curveball in baseball.