Angular Momentum of the earth at the equator

In summary, to find the magnitude of the angular momentum about Earth's center due to Earth's rotation for a 98 kg person standing at the equator, you need to use the correct value for the angular velocity and incorporate it into the equation for angular momentum.
vesperaka

Homework Statement

For a 98 kg person standing at the equator, what is the magnitude of the angular momentum about Earth's center due to Earth's rotation? Assume the Earth has a radius of 6.4 x 106 m.

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum = rmv * sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

r= 6.4*10^6 m
m = 98kg
Vangular (of earth) = 7.27*10^5 rad/s

I multiplied these 3 values together and got 45597.44 kgm^2/s as my answer but it's wrong. Do I have to incorporate anything about the sin of the angle into my equation (I figured it would just be sin(90) = 1 though...)? I don't know what else to do :\

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vesperaka,

vesperaka said:

Homework Statement

For a 98 kg person standing at the equator, what is the magnitude of the angular momentum about Earth's center due to Earth's rotation? Assume the Earth has a radius of 6.4 x 106 m.

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum = rmv * sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

r= 6.4*10^6 m
m = 98kg
Vangular (of earth) = 7.27*10^5 rad/s

This number does not look right to me. You have units of radians per second, and so the angular velocity of the Earth is 7.27*10^(-5) rad/s.

But this is not the v that is in your equation (it does not have the same units, for example). So you need to either find the speed v from this angular velocity, or use an equation for the angular momentum that has the angular velocity in it.

The magnitude of the angular momentum of the Earth at the equator can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. In this case, the moment of inertia can be approximated as I = 2/5 * mr^2, where m is the mass of the Earth and r is the radius.

Plugging in the values given, we get:

I = 2/5 * (5.97 x 10^24 kg) * (6.4 x 10^6 m)^2 = 9.43 x 10^37 kgm^2

ω = 7.27 x 10^-5 rad/s (approximately)

Therefore, the magnitude of the angular momentum is:

L = (9.43 x 10^37 kgm^2) * (7.27 x 10^-5 rad/s) = 6.86 x 10^33 kgm^2/s

It is important to note that the sin(theta) term in the angular momentum formula is only necessary if the object is moving at an angle to its axis of rotation. In this case, the person standing at the equator is rotating in the same direction as the Earth's rotation, so the angle between the two is 90 degrees and the sin(theta) term is equal to 1. Therefore, it is not necessary to incorporate it into the calculation.

What is Angular Momentum?

Angular Momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, taking into account its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates).

How does the Earth's rotation affect its Angular Momentum?

The Earth's rotation contributes significantly to its Angular Momentum, as it is a massive object with a high angular velocity. This means that the Earth has a large amount of rotational energy and is difficult to change its direction of rotation.

Is the Earth's Angular Momentum constant?

No, the Earth's Angular Momentum is not constant. It can change due to external forces such as the gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun, as well as internal forces such as earthquakes and tides. However, these changes are very small and do not significantly impact the Earth's overall Angular Momentum.

How does the Earth's Angular Momentum at the equator differ from other latitudes?

The Earth's Angular Momentum at the equator is higher than at other latitudes due to the larger distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a higher angular velocity. This is known as the Coriolis effect and is responsible for the rotation of weather patterns and ocean currents.