1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum of the earth at the equator

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a 98 kg person standing at the equator, what is the magnitude of the angular momentum about Earth's center due to Earth's rotation? Assume the Earth has a radius of 6.4 x 106 m.

2. Relevant equations

Angular Momentum = rmv * sin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

r= 6.4*10^6 m
    m = 98kg
    Vangular (of earth) = 7.27*10^5 rad/s

I multiplied these 3 values together and got 45597.44 kgm^2/s as my answer but it's wrong. Do I have to incorporate anything about the sin of the angle into my equation (I figured it would just be sin(90) = 1 though...)? I don't know what else to do :\
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi vesperaka,

This number does not look right to me. You have units of radians per second, and so the angular velocity of the earth is 7.27*10^(-5) rad/s.

But this is not the v that is in your equation (it does not have the same units, for example). So you need to either find the speed v from this angular velocity, or use an equation for the angular momentum that has the angular velocity in it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?