1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum operators and eigenfunctions

1. May 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

yVt5RSm.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried inserting the first wavefunction into Lz which gets me 0 for the eigenvalue for the first wavefunction. Is this correct?

For the second wavefunction, I inserted it in to Lz and this gets me -i*hbar*xAe^-r/a which is not equal to an eigenvalue*Ay*e-r/a, although I am not sure if this is the correct justification.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2
    Seems right to me.

4. May 3, 2014 #3
    I'm also stuck on how to convert the wavefunctions into spherical polar coordinates, having tried to use the formula for spherical polar coordinates, I notice that the wavefunctions do not depend on the variables phi and theta, so I am unsure on how to approach the first problem.

5. May 3, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello fan, and welcome to PF.

You get 0 for ##\Psi_0## because it is symmetric under rotations around the z axis: there is no angular momentum. So I think you are right. It is an eigenfunction.

For ##\Psi_1## you basically want to show that ##{\bf L}_z \left( \Psi_1 \right ) = L_z\, \Psi_1 ## with ##{\bf L}_z## the operator and ##L_z## an eigenvalue (i.e. a number, possibly complex), has no solutions.

You may assume |A| is not equal to zero (because of the normalization) so the eigenvalue zero is already excluded. So if you multiply the right hand side from the left by ##\Psi_1^*## and integrate, that yields ##L_z##, which is nonzero.

Do the same thing with the lefthand side and show that it does give zero. That way you prove that the assumption that ##\Psi_1## is an eigenfunction leads to a false equation.

6. May 3, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With ##z = r\cos\theta## you sure have a theta dependence!

7. May 3, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But the exercise wants you to write out the z-component of the operator cross product ##{\bf r} \times {\bf p}##, not the wave functions!
    [edit] sorry, it wants you to do both. In the first part the Lz, later on the ##\Psi##

8. May 3, 2014 #7
    That has really cleared things up, thank you!

Last edited: May 3, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted