Angular momentum question (from kleppner's book).

In summary, question number 6.2 in page 279 discusses the angular velocities of two drums, one with a mass M_A and radius a and the other with a mass M_B and radius b, when a thin layer of sand with mass M_s is distributed on the inner surface of the smaller drum. The sand starts to fly out at a constant rate \lambda and sticks to the outer drum, causing changes in the angular velocities of both drums. The conservation of angular and linear momentum equations are used to solve for the final angular velocities, with the final answer indicating that if lambda*t=M_b and b=2a, then w_B=w_A(0)/8. The moments of inertia used in the equations are of a uniform
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
question number 6.2 in page 279:
A drum of mass M_A and radius a rotates freely with initial angular velocity w_A(0). A second drum with mass M_B and radius b>a is mounted on the same axis and is at rest, although it is free to rotate.
A thin layer of sand with mass M_s is distributed on the inner surface of the amaller drum. At t=0, small perforations in the inner drum are opened. The sand starts to fly out at a constant rate [tex]\lambda[/tex] and sticks to the outer drum. find the subsequent angular velocities of the two drums w_A and w_B. ignore the transit time of the sand.

ok obviously, we have conserved angular momentum and conserved linear momentum (no external force).
i.e I_Aw_A+I_Bw_B=I_Aw_A(0)
and (M_A+M_s)v0=(M_A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]t)(w_A)a+(M_B+[tex]\lambda[/tex]t)(w_B)b
where v0=w_A(0)*a
but i don't get it from the final answer which is the answer clue:
if lambda*t=M_b and b=2a then w_B=w_A(0)/8.

am i missing something here?
btw, the moments of inertia here are of a uniform think hoop, right?
which MR^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
no one can help me on this?

I get that answer only if M_A=0. I must be missing something, or I would have at least tried.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that represents the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate of change of the object's angular position).

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the angular momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the angular momentum after the event.

4. How does angular momentum relate to linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are related by the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This equation shows that an object's angular momentum is directly proportional to its moment of inertia and angular velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular momentum?

Angular momentum has many applications in physics and engineering, including the stability of rotating objects (such as gyroscopes), the motion of planets and satellites, and the movement of molecules and subatomic particles. It is also important in understanding the movement of fluids, such as air and water currents.