Angular momentum stone problem

In summary: That's why I was trying to evaluate the cross product. Thanks for clearing that up!In summary, angular momentum is linear in time and is a constant along the path of a falling object.
awvvu

Homework Statement

A stone falls from rest from the top of a building. Which of the following graphs' shapes best represents the stone's angular momentum L about the point P as a function of time?

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1033/54161793ev0.png

a) L = 0
b) L = c (constant)
c) L = c * t (linear in t)
d) L = t^2
e) L = upside-down parabola with vertex at some positive x and positive y, passing through the origin

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I solved this problem using the definition of angular momentum as the cross product of r and p (calling point P (x_0, y_0)):

[tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\hat{i} & \hat{j} & \hat{k} \\
r_x & r_y & 0 \\
0 & p_y & 0 \end{array} \right| = r_x p_y \hat{k} = x_0 m g t \hat{k}[/tex]

where [itex]r_x = x_0[/itex] and [itex]p_y = - m g t[/itex]

So apparently linear momentum is linear in time. This question is for an AP Physics C sample multiple choice, so I have a hard time believing they want us to evaluate a cross-product to figure out this. Is there some intuitive way to understand this? Or a quick way to do it? I tried using the definition of cross product as [itex]r p \sin(\theta)[/itex] but that doesn't get me very far either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi awvvu,

About your definition [itex]rp \sin(\theta)[/itex], I think that is a good way to see it. If you think about the path of the stone as it falls (vertically), notice that r and theta both change with time, but [itex]r\sin\theta[/itex] is a constant--it's just the horizontal distance from the point to the ball's path. So the only thing changing with time in [itex]rp \sin(\theta)[/itex], is p.

There are also the slightly differently-written forms [itex]m v_{\perp} r[/itex] and [itex]m v r_{\perp}[/itex] for the angular momentum of a particle. The second form works best here: you know the velocity is vertical, so [itex]r_{\perp}[/itex] must be the horizontal distance.

Ah, I was trying to look at each multiplied term separately and I couldn't figure out the relationship between r and sin(theta).

1. What is the Angular Momentum Stone Problem?

The Angular Momentum Stone Problem is a thought experiment in physics that explores the concept of conservation of angular momentum. It involves a person standing on a frictionless surface, holding a spinning stone. When the person throws the stone, the stone's angular momentum changes, but according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of the system (person + stone) must remain constant.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant speed and in the same direction.

3. How is angular momentum conserved in the Angular Momentum Stone Problem?

In the Angular Momentum Stone Problem, the person and the stone are initially at rest, so the total angular momentum is zero. When the person throws the stone, the stone gains angular momentum in one direction, causing the person to gain an equal and opposite amount of angular momentum in the other direction. This maintains the total angular momentum of the system at zero.

4. What happens if the person in the Angular Momentum Stone Problem moves after throwing the stone?

If the person moves after throwing the stone, their moment of inertia changes, and their angular velocity changes accordingly. This change in angular velocity compensates for the change in angular momentum of the stone, keeping the total angular momentum of the system constant.

5. How is the Angular Momentum Stone Problem related to real-world situations?

The Angular Momentum Stone Problem is a simplified thought experiment that helps understand the law of conservation of angular momentum. It has real-world applications in various fields, including mechanics, astronomy, and even sports. For example, a figure skater spinning on ice can increase or decrease their rotational speed by changing the position of their arms, just like the person in the thought experiment can change their angular velocity by moving their body.