1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum stone problem

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone falls from rest from the top of a building. Which of the following graphs' shapes best represents the stone's angular momentum L about the point P as a function of time?

[​IMG]

a) L = 0
    b) L = c (constant)
    c) L = c * t (linear in t)
    d) L = t^2
    e) L = upside-down parabola with vertex at some positive x and positive y, passing through the origin

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I solved this problem using the definition of angular momentum as the cross product of r and p (calling point P (x_0, y_0)):

[tex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
    \hat{i} & \hat{j} & \hat{k} \\
    r_x & r_y & 0 \\
    0 & p_y & 0 \end{array} \right| = r_x p_y \hat{k} = x_0 m g t \hat{k}[/tex]

where [itex]r_x = x_0[/itex] and [itex]p_y = - m g t[/itex]

So apparently linear momentum is linear in time. This question is for an AP Physics C sample multiple choice, so I have a hard time believing they want us to evaluate a cross-product to figure out this. Is there some intuitive way to understand this? Or a quick way to do it? I tried using the definition of cross product as [itex]r p \sin(\theta)[/itex] but that doesn't get me very far either.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi awvvu,

About your definition [itex]rp \sin(\theta)[/itex], I think that is a good way to see it. If you think about the path of the stone as it falls (vertically), notice that r and theta both change with time, but [itex]r\sin\theta[/itex] is a constant--it's just the horizontal distance from the point to the ball's path. So the only thing changing with time in [itex]rp \sin(\theta)[/itex], is p.

There are also the slightly differently-written forms [itex]m v_{\perp} r[/itex] and [itex]m v r_{\perp}[/itex] for the angular momentum of a particle. The second form works best here: you know the velocity is vertical, so [itex]r_{\perp}[/itex] must be the horizontal distance.

4. May 4, 2008 #3
    Ah, I was trying to look at each multiplied term separately and I couldn't figure out the relationship between r and sin(theta).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?