Angular motion problem question

In summary, a 1.20 kg cylindrical object with a diameter of 25 cm is rolling down an inclined plane at an angle of 25 degrees with the horizontal. The question asks for the speed of the cylinder's axis after it has rolled 1.00 m down the plane. To solve this, the diameter was converted to meters and the moment of inertia was calculated. The suggestion to use conservation of energy was given, along with the steps of drawing a diagram and identifying the types of energy in each situation. The final step is to equate the total mechanical energy at the top to that at the bottom.
Skoob

Homework Statement

A homogeneous cylinder of mass 1.20 kg and diameter 25 cm rolls down an inclined plane that makes an angle of 25 degrees with the horizontal. What is the speed of the axis of the cylinder by the time the cylinder has rolled 1.00 m down the plane?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was I first converted the diameter into meters. Then I divided that by 2 to give the the radius. I calculated it's moment of inertia of the cylinder, which is "1/2MR^2". I'm stuck after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy.
1. Draw a diagram showing the situation at the beginning of the motion and at the end.
2. Write down the types of energy that the object has in each situation
3. Equate the total mechanical energy at the top to that at the bottom

Related to Angular motion problem question

What is angular motion?

Angular motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is also known as rotational motion.

How is angular motion different from linear motion?

Angular motion involves the rotation of an object around a fixed point, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line.

What are the key factors that affect angular motion?

The key factors that affect angular motion include the angular velocity, the moment of inertia, and the torque applied to the object.

How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time it takes for the displacement to occur. It is typically measured in radians per second.

How can angular motion problems be solved?

Angular motion problems can be solved using the principles of rotational mechanics, such as torque and angular momentum. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use equations such as the rotational kinematic equations.