Solving Pulley System: Find Speed & Angular Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system with a 4 kg and 2 kg block connected by a frictionless surface. The first question asks for the speed of the block after falling 2.5 m, while the second question asks for the angular speed of the pulley when the block reaches 2.5 m. To solve these questions, equations for tension and acceleration are used, as well as the conservation of energy equation. The formula for the moment of inertia of the pulley is also needed to find the angular speed in the second question.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

The pulley in system drawn below has radius 8.0 cm and mass 0.6 kg. The surface on which the 4.0 kg mass is resting is frictionless. Suppose the 2.0 kg block is released from rest.

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/WebPub/Physics/tiplerphysics6e_bridge/question_bank_images/9-72.png?9954

1. What is the speed of the block in m/s after it falls a distance of 2.5 m. Round your answer to one decimal place. Derive a complete formula for the answer before substituting values to avoid round-off errors. Use g = 9.81 m/s^2.

2. What is the angular speed of the pulley in rad/s at the instant the block reaches a distance of 2.5 m? Round your answer to one decimal place. Derive a complete formula for the answer before substituting values to avoid round-off errors. Use g = 9.81 m/s^2. Round your answer to two significant figures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is:

T1=m1a (T1 is tension connecting the 4 kg block, m1 is the mass of 4 kg block)

(T2-T1) = I [tex]\alpha[/tex] ( T2 is tension connecting the 2 kg block, I is the moment of inertia of pulley)

m2g - T2 = m2a (m2 is mass of 2 kg block)

These are the three equations I was able to find but how do I get the answers to these question?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 4 unknowns, so you'll need another equation.
Can you relate "a" and "alpha"? You know the radius . . .

at=r alpha?

Okay, you should have 4 equations and 4 unknowns now, so just a matter of substitution to solve for the one you want.

First question asks for speed of the block after 2.5 m

I used the conservation of energy equation. I got mghi = 0.5 mv^2f

So I got vf = 7, is it right?

I still can't figure out the second question..

mghi = 0.5 mv^2f doesn't include the rotational energy of the pulley.
You'll have to help me - I forget how to find the moment of inertia I for the pulley. It is just a cylinder, so you probably have a formula for it.

For #2, do you have a formula relating the velocity to the angular velocity?

Check this out

http://ebooks.bfwpub.com/physse6e/tables/9_T_1_big.jpg

2. The formula is v= r omega?

Okay, so you can find the moment of inertia of the pulley and add its rotational energy term to your equation.

1. How do I calculate the speed of a pulley system?

The speed of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. This can be represented by the formula speed = distance/time. The distance can be measured in meters or feet, and the time can be measured in seconds or minutes.

2. What is the formula for calculating angular speed?

The formula for calculating angular speed is angular speed = angular distance/time. The angular distance is the number of rotations or revolutions made by the pulley, and the time is measured in seconds or minutes. This formula can also be written as angular speed = 2π x frequency, where frequency is the number of rotations per second.

3. How do I find the speed ratio of a pulley system?

The speed ratio of a pulley system can be found by dividing the speed of the input pulley by the speed of the output pulley. This ratio can also be represented by the number of teeth on each pulley. For example, if the input pulley has 10 teeth and the output pulley has 20 teeth, the speed ratio is 2:1.

4. Can the speed of a pulley system be changed?

Yes, the speed of a pulley system can be changed by adjusting the size of the pulleys or by adding multiple pulleys. A smaller pulley will result in a faster speed, while a larger pulley will result in a slower speed. Adding multiple pulleys can also change the speed ratio of the system.

5. How does friction affect the speed of a pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the speed of a pulley system. The more friction present between the pulley and the rope or belt, the slower the speed of the system will be. This is because friction creates resistance to the movement of the pulley, which requires more energy to overcome, resulting in a slower speed.