Angular Velocity Differential Equation

In summary, we discussed Newton's 2nd Law for rotational motion and how it applies to a wheel being turned by a motor with opposing friction. We wrote out a differential equation for this scenario and then attempted to find an expression for the angular velocity as a function of time, using integration and substitution. Finally, we found that the solution should be k(√ω-√ωo)+τ ln \frac{τ-k\sqrt{w}}{τ-k\sqrt{ωo}}= -k2t/2I, with the constant c found by plugging in t=0 and ω(0)=ωo.
ThomasMagnus
Problem:

Newton's 2nd Law for rotational motion states that the product of the moment of Inertia, I, and the angular acceleration alpha(t) is equal to the net Torque acting on a rotating body. Consider a wheel that is being turned by a motor that exerts a constant torque T. Friction provides an opposing torque proportional to the square root of the angular velocity w(t). The moment of inertia of the wheel is I.

A) Write out a differential equation that represents Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion in this case. Note that alpha(t)=w'(t)

B) If the initial angular velocity is w_o, determine the angular velocity as a function of time, w(t). Can you find an expression for w(t)

Attempt at Solution:

I was able to find the answer for A. I found that it was: I(dw/dt)=T-k(sqrt(w))

As for part B, I am really confused. I know I have to separate the equation and integrate it. I know that dw=w'(t)dt.Other than that I'm lost. First of all, should I be plugging in Wo now or at the end? I'm trying to isolate the w's but I keep getting:
I *w'(t)+k(sqrt(w))=T

I think I need to find a way to get the w's as a product or quotient of each other, so I can use dw=w'(t)dt.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasMagnus said:
Problem:

Newton's 2nd Law for rotational motion states that the product of the moment of Inertia, I, and the angular acceleration alpha(t) is equal to the net Torque acting on a rotating body. Consider a wheel that is being turned by a motor that exerts a constant torque T. Friction provides an opposing torque proportional to the square root of the angular velocity w(t). The moment of inertia of the wheel is I.

A) Write out a differential equation that represents Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion in this case. Note that alpha(t)=w'(t)

B) If the initial angular velocity is w_o, determine the angular velocity as a function of time, w(t). Can you find an expression for w(t)

Attempt at Solution:

I was able to find the answer for A. I found that it was: I(dw/dt)=T-k(sqrt(w))

As for part B, I am really confused. I know I have to separate the equation and integrate it. I know that dw=w'(t)dt.Other than that I'm lost. First of all, should I be plugging in Wo now or at the end? I'm trying to isolate the w's but I keep getting:
I *w'(t)+k(sqrt(w))=T

I think I need to find a way to get the w's as a product or quotient of each other, so I can use dw=w'(t)dt.

It's a separable differential equation. I(dw/dt)=T-k(sqrt(w)) so dw/(T-k(sqrt(w))=dt/I. Integrate both sides. It's a differential equations thing. The w0 part is after you've got the general solution.

Ok, now I see it! However, I get: int (dw/T-Ksqrt(w)) on one side. I tried subbing for the whole denominator, but it doesn't seem to work..

I [itex]\frac{dω}{dt}[/itex] = τ-k[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex]
dt(τ-k[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex])=(I)dω
[itex]\frac{dt}{I}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dω}{τ-\sqrt{w}}[/itex]
[itex]\int \frac{dt}{I} [/itex]= [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{I}[/itex][itex]\int dt [/itex]= [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex] (I is constant so you can do this I believe?)
[itex]\frac{t}{I}[/itex]=[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex]
[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex] u=τ-k[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex], du=-[itex]\frac{k}{2\sqrt{ω}}[/itex] dω
[itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex]2[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex]du=dω, ([itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex])(-u+τ)=[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex] so dω=([itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex])2(-u+τ)du=[itex]\frac{-2u+2τ}{k}[/itex]du
[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-\sqrt{w}} [/itex] = [itex]\int \frac{-2u+2τ}{ku} [/itex] du
= [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{-2u}{u} [/itex]du + [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{2τ}{u} [/itex]du
= [itex]\frac{-2}{k}[/itex][itex]\int du [/itex] + [itex]\frac{2τ}{k}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{1}{u} [/itex] = -2[itex]\frac{u}{k}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{2τ}{k}[/itex]*ln|u|+c
= -2(τ-[itex]k\sqrt{w}[/itex])[itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex] + 2[itex]\frac{τ}{k}[/itex] *ln|τ-[itex]k\sqrt{ω|}[/itex]+c
[itex]\frac{-2}{k}[/itex] (τ-[itex]k\sqrt{ω}[/itex]+τln|τ-k[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex]|)+c = [itex]\frac{t}{I}[/itex]

I'm lost at this point. I think everything is OK up to here? How would I plug ωo in? Would I plug it in so that [itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex] becomes [itex]\sqrt{w-wo}[/itex] which is like [itex]\sqrt{\Deltaω}[/itex] ? or ω(0)=ωo ?
My solutions page says it should be k(√ω-√ωo)+τ ln [itex]\frac{τ-k\sqrt{w}}{τ-k\sqrt{ωo}}[/itex]= -k2t/2I

Last edited:
ThomasMagnus said:
I [itex]\frac{dω}{dt}[/itex] = τ-k[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex]
dt(τ-k[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex])=(I)dω
[itex]\frac{dt}{I}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dω}{τ-\sqrt{w}}[/itex]
[itex]\int \frac{dt}{I} [/itex]= [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{I}[/itex][itex]\int dt [/itex]= [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex] (I is constant so you can do this I believe?)
[itex]\frac{t}{I}[/itex]=[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex]
[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex] u=τ-k[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex], du=-[itex]\frac{k}{2\sqrt{ω}}[/itex] dω
[itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex]2[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex]du=dω, ([itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex])(-u+τ)=[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex] so dω=([itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex])2(-u+τ)du=[itex]\frac{-2u+2τ}{k}[/itex]du
[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-\sqrt{w}} [/itex] = [itex]\int \frac{-2u+2τ}{ku} [/itex] du
= [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{-2u}{u} [/itex]du + [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{2τ}{u} [/itex]du
= [itex]\frac{-2}{k}[/itex][itex]\int du [/itex] + [itex]\frac{2τ}{k}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{1}{u} [/itex] = -2[itex]\frac{u}{k}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{2τ}{k}[/itex]*ln|u|+c
= -2(τ-[itex]k\sqrt{w}[/itex])[itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex] + 2[itex]\frac{τ}{k}[/itex] *ln|τ-[itex]k\sqrt{ω|}[/itex]+c
[itex]\frac{-2}{k}[/itex] (τ-[itex]k\sqrt{ω}[/itex]+τln|τ-k[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex]|)+c = [itex]\frac{t}{I}[/itex]

I'm lost at this point. I think everything is OK up to here? How would I plug ωo in? Would I plug it in so that [itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex] becomes [itex]\sqrt{w-wo}[/itex] which is like [itex]\sqrt{\Deltaω}[/itex] ? or ω(0)=ωo ?
My solutions page says it should be k(√ω-√ωo)+τ ln [itex]\frac{τ-k\sqrt{w}}{τ-k\sqrt{ωo}}[/itex]= -k2t/2I

You are almost right. I think you dropped a factor of k and a sign. Check it. To get the constant c put t=0, and ##\omega(0)=\omega_0##. Once you've solve for c put it back into the solution and simplify.

FAQ: Angular Velocity Differential Equation

1. What is Angular Velocity Differential Equation?

The angular velocity differential equation is a mathematical formula that describes the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the motion of rotating objects.

2. How is Angular Velocity Differential Equation derived?

The angular velocity differential equation is derived using principles of calculus and rotational dynamics. It is based on the relationship between angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia.

3. What is the significance of Angular Velocity Differential Equation?

The angular velocity differential equation is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of rotating objects. It is used in a variety of applications, such as designing machinery and analyzing the motion of planets and satellites.

4. Can the Angular Velocity Differential Equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the angular velocity differential equation can be solved analytically using methods such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms. However, in some cases, it may be more practical to solve it numerically using computer simulations.

5. How does the Angular Velocity Differential Equation relate to other equations of motion?

The angular velocity differential equation is a specific case of the more general equation of motion, which describes the relationship between position, velocity, acceleration, and time. It also has connections to other equations, such as the equations for torque and angular momentum.