1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity Differential Equation

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Newton's 2nd Law for rotational motion states that the product of the moment of Inertia, I, and the angular acceleration alpha(t) is equal to the net Torque acting on a rotating body. Consider a wheel that is being turned by a motor that exerts a constant torque T. Friction provides an opposing torque proportional to the square root of the angular velocity w(t). The moment of inertia of the wheel is I.

A) Write out a differential equation that represents Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion in this case. Note that alpha(t)=w'(t)

B) If the initial angular velocity is w_o, determine the angular velocity as a function of time, w(t). Can you find an expression for w(t)

Attempt at Solution:

I was able to find the answer for A. I found that it was: I(dw/dt)=T-k(sqrt(w))

As for part B, I am really confused. I know I have to seperate the equation and integrate it. I know that dw=w'(t)dt.Other than that I'm lost. First of all, should I be plugging in Wo now or at the end? I'm trying to isolate the w's but I keep getting:
    I *w'(t)+k(sqrt(w))=T

I think I need to find a way to get the w's as a product or quotient of each other, so I can use dw=w'(t)dt.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a separable differential equation. I(dw/dt)=T-k(sqrt(w)) so dw/(T-k(sqrt(w))=dt/I. Integrate both sides. It's a differential equations thing. The w0 part is after you've got the general solution.

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3
    Ok, now I see it! However, I get: int (dw/T-Ksqrt(w)) on one side. I tried subbing for the whole denominator, but it doesn't seem to work..

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4
    I [itex]\frac{dω}{dt}[/itex] = τ-k[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex]
    dt(τ-k[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex])=(I)dω
    [itex]\frac{dt}{I}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dω}{τ-\sqrt{w}}[/itex]
    [itex]\int \frac{dt}{I} [/itex]= [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{I}[/itex][itex]\int dt [/itex]= [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex] (I is constant so you can do this I believe?)
    [itex]\frac{t}{I}[/itex]=[itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex]
    [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-k\sqrt{w}} [/itex] u=τ-k[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex], du=-[itex]\frac{k}{2\sqrt{ω}}[/itex] dω
    [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex]2[itex]\sqrt{w}[/itex]du=dω, ([itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex])(-u+τ)=[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex] so dω=([itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex])2(-u+τ)du=[itex]\frac{-2u+2τ}{k}[/itex]du
    [itex]\int \frac{dω}{τ-\sqrt{w}} [/itex] = [itex]\int \frac{-2u+2τ}{ku} [/itex] du
    = [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex][itex]\int\frac{-2u}{u} [/itex]du + [itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{2τ}{u} [/itex]du
    = [itex]\frac{-2}{k}[/itex][itex]\int du [/itex] + [itex]\frac{2τ}{k}[/itex][itex]\int \frac{1}{u} [/itex] = -2[itex]\frac{u}{k}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{2τ}{k}[/itex]*ln|u|+c
    = -2(τ-[itex]k\sqrt{w}[/itex])[itex]\frac{1}{k}[/itex] + 2[itex]\frac{τ}{k}[/itex] *ln|τ-[itex]k\sqrt{ω|}[/itex]+c
    [itex]\frac{-2}{k}[/itex] (τ-[itex]k\sqrt{ω}[/itex]+τln|τ-k[itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex]|)+c = [itex]\frac{t}{I}[/itex]

I'm lost at this point. I think everything is OK up to here? How would I plug ωo in? Would I plug it in so that [itex]\sqrt{ω}[/itex] becomes [itex]\sqrt{w-wo}[/itex] which is like [itex]\sqrt{\Deltaω}[/itex] ? or ω(0)=ωo ?
    My solutions page says it should be k(√ω-√ωo)+τ ln [itex]\frac{τ-k\sqrt{w}}{τ-k\sqrt{ωo}}[/itex]= -k2t/2I

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  6. Oct 8, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are almost right. I think you dropped a factor of k and a sign. Check it. To get the constant c put t=0, and ##\omega(0)=\omega_0##. Once you've solve for c put it back into the solution and simplify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted