Angular Velocity of a swinging Sphere

In summary: Thanks again for the help!In summary, the problem involves a uniform solid sphere hanging from a string of length R/2. The sphere is released from an initial angle of 45 degrees and the goal is to calculate the angular velocity when it reaches the vertical position. The solution involves using the conservation of energy equation, U=Mgh=I(\omega^2), and the parallel axis theorem, I=I_{cm}+Md^2. The distance d used in the parallel axis theorem is the distance from the pivot point to the center of the sphere, not the distance from the pivot point to the bottom of the sphere. This distance is equal to (3/2)R, where R is the radius of the sphere.
zylaxice

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere of mass M and radius R hangs from a string of length R/2. Suppose that the sphere is released from an initial position making an angle of 45 degrees with the vertical. Calculate the angular velocity of the sphere when it swings through the vertical position.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy. U= Mgh = I ([tex]\omega[/tex]^2)
Parallel Axis Theorem I= I[tex]_{cm}[/tex]+Md[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm in an odd situation in that I have the solution, but am trying to wrap my head around what exactly it means. I first rearranged mgh=(I)Omega^2 to get Omega=[tex]\sqrt{mgh/I}[/tex]. I figured that I would then have my answer as soon as I solved for I. Using the Parallel Axis Theorem, and my book's given moment of inertia for a sphere being rotated about its diameter (2/5)MR^2, gave me I= (2/5)MR^2 + Md^2. However, my professor's solutions give a d (distance from axis of rotation to axis through center of mass) as 3R/2. I am having trouble figuring out where this number comes from. As far as I can tell, the only distance which is 3R/2 is the distance from the pivot point (where the string is mounted) to the bottom of the sphere. Wouldn't using this distance as "d" imply that the sphere is rotating about an axis through the end of the ball? Shouldn't it be rotating through its center of mass?

Any help would be appreciated, as I know I'm somehow looking at this motion wrong. And I apologize for the messy lack of formatting, I'm new to this system of symbol representation and was having trouble with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zylaxice,

The distance (3/2)R is the distance from the pivot point to the center of the sphere. This is the distance from the center of mass of the sphere to the axis of rotation which you need in the parallel axis theorem.

The distance from the pivot point to the bottom of the ball would be the length of the string plus the diameter of the ball, which would be (R/2) + 2R = (5/2)R

Welcome to PF!

Hi zylaxice! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You're confusing radius with diameter. :smile:

(Did you draw a diagram? Always draw a diagram!)

Thank you both, that's exactly what I did. No matter how many times I rewrote the problem, I guess I always made the same mistake. I think because my original diagram was so horrendously out of scale I somehow associated R with being the diameter of the sphere instead of the radius, and it took someone else pointing it out to make me realize how blind I was.

What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which a rotating object is changing its angle in a given amount of time.

How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The units for angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

What factors affect the Angular Velocity of a swinging sphere?

The angular velocity of a swinging sphere is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the sphere, the angle of release, and the force of gravity.

What is the relationship between Angular Velocity and period of oscillation for a swinging sphere?

The period of oscillation, or the time it takes for the sphere to complete one full swing, is directly proportional to the angular velocity. As the angular velocity increases, the period of oscillation decreases and vice versa.

How does the Angular Velocity of a swinging sphere relate to its potential and kinetic energy?

The angular velocity of a swinging sphere is directly related to its kinetic energy. As the angular velocity increases, so does the kinetic energy. However, the potential energy of a swinging sphere remains constant throughout the swing.