Angular velocity of rod supported by yoyo

In summary, the conversation discusses using the tangent at external point theorem to find that two triangles are congruent. The method involves finding the velocity of the centre of the circle and relating it to the velocity in the question using the chain rule. The conversation also mentions finding the instantaneous centre of rotation for a rolling disc.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-14_11-16-30.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-10-14_11-20-7.png

so since the rod and the floor is tangent to the circle then the tangent at external point theorem can be applied to find out that the two triangles are congruent
i assumed the the circle start out with tangent to the y-axis at first so the x distance to the centre at any time is vt +r this v is different from the v in the question
##
\frac{r}{vt + r} = tan \frac{\theta}{2}\\
\frac{{sec \theta}^2}{2}\dot \theta = \frac{-r v}{(vt +r)^2}\\
\dot \theta = \frac{-2rv}{(vt + r)^2} = \frac{-2v tan\frac{\theta}{2}}{r (sec \theta)^2}

##
where v is velocity of centre
how to relate the two velocities is my method even valid

Physics news on Phys.org
vishnu 73 said:
is my method even valid
Your method is basically ok, but what do you get for ##\frac d{d\theta}\tan(\frac\theta 2)##?

why is it with respect to theta i did it with respect to time which was ## sec^2 \theta (\frac{1}{2}) \dot \theta ##

vishnu 73 said:
why is it with respect to theta i did it with respect to time which was ## sec^2 \theta \frac{1}{2} \dot \theta ##
You are, whether you realize it or not, using (actually, misusing) the chain rule. ##\frac{df(y)}{dx}=f'(y)\frac{dy}{dx}##. So first do the derivative wrt theta. Better still, wrt ½θ

Likes timetraveller123
no i understand i am using chain rule oh wait it is supposed to be

## sec^2 \frac{\theta}{2} (\frac{1}{2}) \dot \theta ##
is it that -
##
\frac{d f}{d \frac{\theta}{2}} \frac{d \frac{\theta}{2}}{d \theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt}
##

vishnu 73 said:
no i understand i am using chain rule oh wait it is supposed to be

## sec^2 \frac{\theta}{2} (\frac{1}{2}) \dot \theta ##
Yes.

then what about how to relate the v in the question to the v v of centre

vishnu 73 said:
then what about how to relate the v in the question to the v v of centre
As a disc rolls, where is its instantaneous centre of rotation?

Likes timetraveller123
the bottom of the cirlce so is it v/(R+r) * R

vishnu 73 said:
the bottom of the cirlce so is it v/(R+r) * R
Yes.

Likes timetraveller123
ok thanks for the help

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is the angular velocity of a rod supported by a yoyo calculated?

The angular velocity of a rod supported by a yoyo can be calculated by dividing the linear velocity of the yoyo by the radius of the rod. This can be represented by the formula: ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a rod supported by a yoyo?

The angular velocity of a rod supported by a yoyo can be affected by several factors, including the linear velocity of the yoyo, the radius of the rod, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the mass of the rod and yoyo impact the angular velocity?

The mass of the rod and yoyo can impact the angular velocity by affecting the moment of inertia of the system. A larger mass will increase the moment of inertia, which will require more force to change the angular velocity.

5. Can the angular velocity of a rod supported by a yoyo change over time?

Yes, the angular velocity of a rod supported by a yoyo can change over time if there are changes in the linear velocity, radius, or external forces acting on the system. Changes in the moment of inertia can also impact the angular velocity.