What is the Isomorphism between Groups and its Implications?

In summary, the assertion that if G × K \cong H × K, then G \cong H is false. A counterexample can be found by letting G = {0} and H = Z, with K being the set of all infinite sequences of integers. By defining the mapping \phi( (0, (a_{1}, a_{2}, ... ) ) ) = ( a_{1}, (a_{2}, a_{3}, ... ) ), it can be shown that this is an isomorphism that preserves the operation, but is not one-to-one or onto. This disproves the original assertion.
Boorglar

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove the following assertion. Let [itex]G[/itex], [itex]H[/itex], and [itex]K[/itex] be groups. If [itex]G × K \cong H × K[/itex], then [itex]G \cong H[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] G × H = \left\{ (g,h): g \in G, h \in H \right\} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know whether the statement is true or false... I tried looking in both directions but to no avail.

For a counterexample, I figured that at least one of the sets would have to be infinite, otherwise G and H would have the same number of elements and it would be harder for them not to be isomorphic. I considered the sets:

[itex] \left\{0\right\} × Z [/itex] and [itex] Z_{2} × Z [/itex] with the isomorphism being:
[itex] \phi( 0, 2n ) = ( 0, n ) [/itex] and [itex]\phi( 0, 2n + 1 ) = ( 1, n ) [/itex]. Then it is well-defined, one-to-one and onto. But it does not preserve the operation because [itex] \phi( 0, 1 ) + \phi( 0, 1 ) = ( 1, 0 ) + ( 1, 0 ) = ( 0, 0 ) [/itex] while [itex] \phi( (0,1) + (0,1) ) = \phi(0,2) = (0,1) [/itex].

I still think someone could tweak the definition a bit to make it an isomorphism, but of course I am not sure.

As for proving the theorem is true, I don't even know how to start. I considered the following mapping [itex] \phi : G → H [/itex] defined as [itex] \phi( g ) = h [/itex] where [itex] (g,e_{K}) → (h, k') [/itex] under the isomorphism between [itex] G × K [/itex] and [itex] H × K [/itex].

Then I proved [itex] \phi [/itex] is well-defined and preserves the operation. But I cannot prove that it is one-to-one, nor onto. The problem is that I have no reason to believe that if [itex]g_{1} ≠ g_{2} [/itex] then [itex] (g_{1},e_{K}) → (h_{1}, k_{1}) [/itex] and [itex] (g_{2}, e_{K} ) → (h_{2}, k_{2}) [/itex] where [itex] h_{1}≠h_{2} [/itex].

On the other hand, no other natural candidate for an isomorphism comes to mind, so I am completely stuck here. If someone could, not give me the whole answer, but just point to the right direction? Because I may be looking somewhere completely unrelated :(

Physics news on Phys.org
The group ##\mathbb{Z}_2\times \mathbb{Z}## has an element of order ##2##, the group ##\{0\}\times \mathbb{Z}## doesn't. So the groups are not isomorphic.

You're however correct that the statement is false. Take the following group as ##K##

[tex]\mathbb{Z}^{\mathbb{N}} = \{(x_n)_n~\vert~x_n\in \mathbb{Z}\}[/tex]

with the usual operations. Can you find the right ##G## and ##H##?

Is that the set of all infinite sequences of integers?

Yes.

Likes 1 person
Ok yes! I finally got it:

Let G be {0} and let H be Z. Then define [itex]\phi[/itex] to be:

[itex]\phi( (0, (a_{1}, a_{2}, ... ) ) ) = ( a_{1}, (a_{2}, a_{3}, ... ) ) [/itex] obtained by left-shifting the sequence. It is obviously well-defined. It is one-to-one because if two left-shifted sequences are equal, then adding a zero in front keeps them equal. And any sequence can have a zero added to it so the mapping is onto. The operation is preserved because:

[itex]\phi( (0, (a_{1}+b_{1}, a_{2}+b_{2}, ... ) ) ) = ( a_{1}+b_{1}, (a_{2}+b_{2}, a_{3}+b_{3}, ... ) ) [/itex] [itex] = ( a_{1}, (a_{2}, a_{3}, ... ) ) + ( b_{1}, (b_{2}, b_{3}, ... ) ) = \phi( ( 0, ( a_{1}, a_{2}, ... ) ) ) + \phi( 0, ( b_{1}, b_{2}, ... ) ) )[/itex]

Thanks for the help. I don't think I would have thought of that anytime soon :P

By the way, are you really 19? Because that's my age too but you seem so much more knowledgeable!

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of groups, which are sets of elements with a binary operation (such as multiplication or addition) defined on them. It is used to understand the structure and properties of abstract mathematical objects, as well as to solve problems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What is a group?

A group is a set of elements with a binary operation defined on it that satisfies four main properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. The binary operation combines two elements in the group to give a third element that is also in the group. Groups can be finite or infinite, and they can have various structures and properties.

3. What is the significance of group theory?

Group theory has applications in many areas of mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, number theory, and physics. It provides a powerful framework for understanding the structure and behavior of mathematical objects and systems. Group theory is also used in cryptography, coding theory, and other fields of computer science.

4. What are some examples of groups?

Some common examples of groups include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers excluding 0 under multiplication, and the group of symmetries of a regular polygon. Other examples include permutation groups, matrix groups, and finite groups such as the group of rotations of a cube.

5. How can group theory be applied in real-world problems?

Group theory has a wide range of applications in real-world problems, such as in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems, in chemistry to analyze molecular structures, and in cryptography to design secure encryption algorithms. It can also be used in data analysis and machine learning to identify patterns and relationships within data sets.