Another integral getting a bunch of conflicting info, extremely confused.

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion in solving the integral of sin^3(7x) and the use of reduction formulas. The formula \int sin^n x dx = -1/n sin^(n-1)x cos x + (n-1)/n \int sin^(n-2) x dx is mentioned, along with an alternative formula \int sin^3 u du = -1/3 (2 + sin^2 u) cos u + C. It is suggested to use the identity sin^3 x = sin x (1 - cos^2 x) to solve the integral without using a reduction formula.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

This is perhaps the most confused I've ever been.

[itex]\int sin^{3}7x dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I let u = 7x. du = 7 dx

Here's where the trouble begins.

[itex]\frac{1}{7}\int sin^{3}U dU[/itex]

Now my book claims the following:

[itex]\int sin^{n}x dx = -\frac{1}{n}sin^{n-1}x cos x + \frac{n-1}{n}\int sin^{n-2}xdx[/itex]

Working that gives me:

[itex]\frac{1}{7}[-\frac{1}{3}sin^{2}u cos u - \frac{2}{3} cos u][/itex]

Here's the problem. Not only does this simplify to a completely incorrect answer, but my application of:

[itex]\int sin^{n}x dx = -\frac{1}{n}sin^{n-1}x cos x + \frac{n-1}{n}\int sin^{n-2}xdx[/itex]

Doesn't even lead to a correct integral of (sin x)^3 alone, according to wolfram. Is this formula BS?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start by writing

[tex]\sin^3(7x) = \sin(7x)(1 - cos^2(7x)[/tex]

You don't need a reduction formula at all.

That's all well and good, but I really need to understand why what I did does not work.

Integrating by parts mean that

[tex]\int{u'vdx}=uv-\int{uv' dx}[/tex]

[tex]\int{sin^n(x)}dx =\int{sin(x)sin^{n-1}(x)dx}[/tex],

u'=sin(x) and v=sin(n-1)(x).

[tex]\int{sin(x)sin^{n-1}(x)dx}=-cos(x)sin^{n-1}(x)+(n-1)\int{cos^2(x)sin^{n-2}(x)dx}[/tex]

Edit: Replacing cos^2(x) by 1-sin^2(x) and rearranging, it leads to your formula.

[tex]\int sin^{n}x dx = -\frac{1}{n}sin^{n-1}x cos x + \frac{n-1}{n}\int sin^{n-2}xdx[/tex]

ehild

Last edited:
Your formula is correct. My book also lists the formula
[tex] \int{sin^3udu}=-\frac{1}{3}(2+sin^2u)cosu+C [/tex]
Which is what I got when I used the generic [itex]n[/itex] formula.

Perhaps you simplified incorrectly. (your work posted here appears correct) And perhaps what wolfram returned was equivalent to the known answer.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques help you manipulate the integral into a form that is easier to solve.

3. Why do I keep getting conflicting information about integrals?

There are many different ways to approach and solve integrals, so it is common to come across conflicting information. It is important to understand the different techniques and when they are applicable to ensure you are using the correct method for your specific problem.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can solve integrals for you. However, it is important to understand the steps and techniques involved in solving integrals so you can verify the results and understand the process.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change in real-world problems such as calculating the velocity of an object or the amount of material needed to construct a building.