Antiderivative of a Quartic Function

In summary, The conversation discusses finding information about the antiderivative of a function, specifically at the double root on the derivative. The given quartic function has roots at (-5,0), a double root at (-2,0), and (2,0), with local maximums at (0,3) and (-3.5, 3) and a local minimum at (-2, 0). The goal is to find the quintic function f and determine the behavior of the antiderivative at the double root. The conversation also mentions the use of the power rule and working backwards to find the equation of the quartic function.
ohlhauc1

Homework Statement

I need to find information pertaining to the antiderivative of a function. At the moment, I just need help in finding part of the derivative: what is happening at the double root (on the derivative)

I am given a quartic function labelled f' with roots at: (-5,0), a double root at (-2,0), and (2,0). There are two local maximums at (0,3) and (-3.5, 3). There is a local minimum at (-2, 0). I need to find f, which I know must be a quintic function. The picture of the quartic that I am given looks like an upside down W.

Homework Equations

I am not given the equation of the quartic function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for f (the quintic function), there is a minimum at x=-5 because of the root (on the quartic) and that there is a maximum at x=2 because of the root. I also know that there are two inflection points at x=-3.5 and x=0 because the derivative (quartic) has a maximum there.

I just need to determine what is present on the antiderivative at the double root at (-2,0) which is also a local maximum. According to the principles that I know, there should be a local maximum or minimum, and that it should be an inflection point on the antiderivative. However, whenever I attempt to draw the antiderivative I can fit both of those criteria on the graph. Could you help me determine what exactly the antiderivative looks like or behaves like at the point?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ohlhauc1 said:

Homework Equations

I am not given the equation of the quartic function.

Yes actually, you are. You are told all 4 roots of a polynomial degree 4.

EG [tex]x^2+2x+1=(x+1)(x+1)[/tex] Hence a double root at -1. We have the roots, work backwards. The equation is

[tex]f'(x)=(x+5)(x+2)^2(x-2)[/tex]. Expand and use the power rule.

What is an antiderivative of a quartic function?

An antiderivative of a quartic function is a function that, when differentiated, gives back the original quartic function.

How do you find the antiderivative of a quartic function?

To find the antiderivative of a quartic function, you can use the power rule for integration. This involves raising the power of the variable by 1 and dividing by the new power. For a quartic function, this would result in a cubic function.

Can all quartic functions have an antiderivative?

Yes, all quartic functions have an antiderivative. This is because the power rule for integration can be applied to any polynomial function, including quartic functions.

What is the relationship between the antiderivative of a quartic function and its original function?

The antiderivative of a quartic function is the inverse operation of differentiation. This means that the antiderivative and the original quartic function are related by the fact that one is the result of undoing the other.

Why is it important to find the antiderivative of a quartic function?

Finding the antiderivative of a quartic function is important in many areas of science and mathematics, as it allows us to solve problems involving the area under a curve, rates of change, and optimization. It also helps in understanding the behavior of quartic functions and their applications in real-world situations.