Any good software for drawing control systems/flow charts out there?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a control systems engineering program that allows for layers, multiple pathways, the ability to hide/show layers, and the use of time windows. Other desired features include the ability to use different colors, being free, and being able to save progress. The non-requirements include not needing control system calculations and the program being able to be used in a browser. Recommendations for engineering software tools such as yED, Graphviz, and Dia Diagram Editor were also mentioned. The importance of scalability and complexity in a project was emphasized, as well as the need for a system that can handle a large and complicated project.
Jarfi
Im drawing a system using control systems engineering. It changes over time and many factors affect each other. So far I've been using draw.io for drawing program architecture and it works great but I am looking for something more directed at flowcharts/control systems.

Requirements:
>Layers, Ability to draw many pathways, ability to hide different layers or show all.
>time windows. Here, sheets would be enough, but I want to be able to show how the system changes over time.
>Different colors
>FREE. I am a mere student with no income.
>Able to save my progress

Non-requirements:
>I don't need control system calculations, I can already use simulink for that, but ofcourse it wouldn't hurt.
>Stand alone application, it's ok if it's in browser but ofc I prefer an app.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I want to add, import-ability to LaTeX doesn't hurt...

Since you already have Simulink diagrams, can you use those for your documentation? There are very serious coordination problems if the analysis, documentation, and code implementation have to be kept in line. There are code auto-generation capabilities from Simulink diagrams.

Simulink is a bit too slow and clunky for my purposes. i am not going to be running any mathematics for now. It's merely for conceptual drawing. Here is an similar thing of what i am trying to create, a biology textbook diagram with negative feedback, something i have not found in either draw.io or lucidchart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 501
UPDATE: I found a bunch of good ones. For others looking for the same yED, Graphviz and Dia Diagram Editor are good, desktop and without the online datamining that comes with server only apps.

Likes FactChecker
Jarfi said:
Simulink is a bit too slow and clunky for my purposes. i am not going to be running any mathematics for now. It's merely for conceptual drawing. Here is an similar thing of what i am trying to create, a biology textbook diagram with negative feedback, something i have not found in either draw.io or lucidchart.
Keep in mind that successful projects can eventually grow into very large, complicated, detailed diagrams. It is the unsuccessful ones that stay small and simple. So unless you are prepared to throw away your early versions and start over, you should consider systems that can handle a large, complicated project. That requires a system that allows lower levels of diagrams, details of different signals and logic, state transition diagrams, bundling of signals, etc., etc., etc.

Likes BvU and jedishrfu
Yes, @FactChecker has some really good advice there. Not following his advice are some famous last words of people who used to work on the project but didn't plan for scalability and complexity.

Likes OCR

1. What are the key features to look for in a software for drawing control systems/flow charts?

The key features to look for in a software for drawing control systems/flow charts include ease of use, a variety of drawing tools and symbols, compatibility with different file formats, collaboration capabilities, and the ability to generate professional-looking diagrams.

2. Are there any free software options available for drawing control systems/flow charts?

Yes, there are several free software options available such as Draw.io, Lucidchart, and SmartDraw. These software may have limited features compared to paid options, but they can still be effective for basic diagramming needs.

3. Can I import my existing diagrams into a software for drawing control systems/flow charts?

Most software for drawing control systems/flow charts allow users to import existing diagrams from other software or file formats. However, it is recommended to check the compatibility of the software with the specific file format of your diagrams.

4. Is it possible to collaborate with others on a control systems/flow chart diagram using the software?

Yes, many software options for drawing control systems/flow charts offer collaboration capabilities, allowing multiple users to work on the same diagram in real-time. This can be useful for teams working on a project together.

5. How can I ensure the security of my diagrams when using a software for drawing control systems/flow charts?

To ensure the security of your diagrams, it is important to choose a software that offers data encryption, password protection, and regular backups. It is also recommended to check the software's privacy policy and data storage practices.