Anyone know a reactor physics book better than Duderstadt and Hamilton?

In summary, the book is comprehensive and covers a variety of topics relevant to nuclear reactor design and analysis. It is challenging to cover every possible subject, partly because the subject is so complex, but the style is not to the point and often time is wasted talking about things that are irrelevant or won't be explained, at least until way later in the book.
random_soldier
I really like the book for how much it covers. There's not a single topic that's missed that is relevant to nuclear reactor design/analysis. Often other books can miss a topic or two. It's just that the style is not to the point and often time is wasted talking about things that are irrelevant or won't be explained, at least until way later.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Duderstadt and Hamilton, like Lamarsh's books, is a classic, and one will find deficiencies in any text. It is challenging to cover every possible subject, partly because the subject is so complex, since there are many types of nuclear reactor systems requiring different elaborations on similar topics that are system dependent, e.g., thermal vs epithermal vs fast dominant energy spectra, or transport vs diffusion theory.

I think something that covers LWRs would be sufficient. That's what D&H seems to cover mostly and that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I don't mind minor excursions to other types but D&H seems to do only that and I'm fine with that.

I used Lamarsh's Nuclear Reactor Theory during my undergraduate program, and D&H during my graduate program. I used D&H to teach nuclear reactor theory as a teaching assistant, and it is pretty basic material. So much has changed in nuclear fuel design and core/fuel management since I was in grad school more than 30 years ago.

The only other texts I of which I am aware are:

Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Physics, by Robert E. Masterson, Taylor & Francis, 2017
https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781315118055
It's relatively new, and I don't know much about it. I recommend comparing the table of contents with other texts. There is another book by the same author, Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics: An Introduction to Nuclear Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, 2019
https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781315226231

Nuclear Reactor Physics, 2nd, Completely Revised and Enlarged Edition, by Weston M. Stacey, Wiley, June 2007, which is probably considered a modern classic after the older classic by Lamarsh.
https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Nuclear...+Revised+and+Enlarged+Edition-p-9783527611058

There is a 3rd Edition of Stacey's book
Nuclear Reactor Physics, 3rd Edition, 2018
https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Nuclear+Reactor+Physics,+3rd+Edition-p-9783527812301

Yet another book, Fundamentals of Nuclear Engineering
Brent J. Lewis, E. Nihan Onder, Andrew A. Prudil
https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Fundamentals+of+Nuclear+Engineering-p-9781119271499

I've known Lewis about three decades, since I've used some of his research and experimental work, and I only recently met Prudil a few years ago through a mutual colleague and friend.

• Informative
Likes atyy and random_soldier

1. What is the best book for learning about reactor physics?

The most highly recommended book for studying reactor physics is "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" by James J. Duderstadt and Louis J. Hamilton. It is considered the gold standard in the field and is widely used in academic and industry settings.

2. Are there any other books that cover reactor physics in depth?

While Duderstadt and Hamilton's book is the most well-known and comprehensive, there are other books that cover reactor physics in detail. Some popular alternatives include "Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory" by John R. Lamarsh and "Nuclear Reactor Physics" by Weston M. Stacey.

3. Is "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" is suitable for beginners as it provides a thorough introduction to the principles and concepts of reactor physics. It is also written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible to those with little prior knowledge in the field.

4. Can "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" be used as a reference book?

Yes, "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" can be used as a reference book for those already familiar with reactor physics. It covers a wide range of topics and includes detailed explanations and examples, making it a valuable resource for professionals in the field.

5. Is there a more recent edition of "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" available?

The latest edition of "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" was published in 2007, and there have been no subsequent updates or revisions. However, the information and principles covered in the book are still relevant and widely used in the field of reactor physics.