Does a Vertical Force Affect Horizontal Speed on a Frictionless Surface?

• Thread starter gunblaze
  • Start date
In summary, when a ball is rolling horizontally at constant speed on a frictionless table in vacuum and a constant vertical force is exerted on it, the horizontal speed will not change due to the resultant force in the vertical direction. This is because on a frictionless surface, a vertical force will not cause any horizontal velocity change. Additionally, if the force that started the movement was not applied in a direction passing through the center of mass, the ball will still roll even on a frictionless surface. The only exception would be if the angular velocity was precisely calculated to match the distance traveled by the ball. However, this is not a necessary assumption for the given problem.
gunblaze
Lets say i have a ball rolling horizontally at constant speed on a frictionless table in vacumm. When i exert a constant vertical force on the ball. Will the horizontal speed change due to the resultant force in the vertical direction? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
No. As long as its a frictionless surface, a vertical force won't result in any horizontal velocity change.

If its frictionless the ball won't be rolling.

whozum said:
If its frictionless the ball won't be rolling.
If the force that started the movement was not applied in a direction passing through the center of mass, the ball will roll even in a frictionless surface.

SGT said:
If the force that started the movement was not applied in a direction passing through the center of mass, the ball will roll even in a frictionless surface.

Only if the angular velocity was the exact amount such that for every 2pi radians swept the ball traveled [itex] 2\piR [/itex] units of length.. which is way more assuming than necessary for the problem.

FAQ: Does a Vertical Force Affect Horizontal Speed on a Frictionless Surface?

1. What kind of help do you need?

I need help with a question, problem, or task that I am currently facing.

2. Can you provide more information about the question?

Yes, I can provide more details and context about the question to help you better understand it.

3. Is there a specific deadline for this question?

Yes, there is a specific deadline for this question and I need help before that deadline.

4. What subject or topic does this question pertain to?

This question pertains to a specific subject or topic, which I can specify to help you better understand the context of the question.

5. What kind of assistance are you looking for?

I am looking for any kind of assistance, such as clarification, guidance, or solutions, to help me with this question.

Back