1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone pls help me with this qn.

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Lets say i have a ball rolling horizontally at constant speed on a frictionless table in vacumm. When i exert a constant vertical force on the ball. Will the horizontal speed change due to the resultant force in the vertical direction? thx
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Gold Member

No. As long as its a frictionless surface, a vertical force won't result in any horizontal velocity change.
  4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    If its frictionless the ball won't be rolling.
  5. Oct 18, 2005 #4

If the force that started the movement was not applied in a direction passing through the center of mass, the ball will roll even in a frictionless surface.
  6. Oct 18, 2005 #5
    Only if the angular velocity was the exact amount such that for every 2pi radians swept the ball traveled [itex] 2\piR [/itex] units of length.. which is way more assuming than necessary for the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?