How Do Newton's Laws Explain Motion in Everyday Scenarios?

In summary, the net force on the skydiver is 60N, the car will travel 45.92m after the brakes are applied, and the speed of the car in the circle is 60pi/22 m/s.
tdusffx
(1) What is the magnitude of the net force on a skydiver in N when an 810 N gravitational force and a 750N force of air resistance act on him?

Fn = 810
Fg = 750

810 - 750 = Fm

60N

(2) A 1200 kg car is moving in a staright line at a constant speed of 15m/s when the brakes are applied. The coefficeient of friction between the car and the road is 0.25. How far in m does the car travel after the brakes are applied?

Fn = 1200*9.8

F = u*Fn = 2940N

-F = m*a

a = -F/m = -2940/1200 = -2.45m/s^2

Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2a*deltaX

0 = Vi^2 +2adeltaX

-Vi^2/2a = deltaX = -15^2/-2.45 = 45.92m

4.) A car moves in a circle of 30 m radius. It moves with constant speed and makes one complete revolution in 22s. What is its speed in m/s?

A = V^2/r

that's all I have for this problem..

can you guys help me out with this?

Also, are my answers for 1 and 2 correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 & 2 are good.

Notice that you do not need to know the mass for the problem in 2. If friction is only force (and therefore the net force) on an object, and it is sliding on a horizontal surface, notice that the acceleration is always [tex] \mu g[/tex]

for #3 you are making it too hard. speed is what over what?

In one full circle, the distance traveled is known as the __________ .

Last edited:
What about 3, sir. Any advice how to start it?

check previous post. I added it late.

nevermind..I think i got it..I think it's just circumference over time..so 60pi/22

Related to How Do Newton's Laws Explain Motion in Everyday Scenarios?

1. How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are observed and applied in everyday life in a variety of ways. For example, the first law explains why objects at rest stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force, such as the force of friction causing a book to stay on a table. The second law explains how the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, which can be seen when a car accelerates or brakes. The third law explains the equal and opposite reaction of two interacting objects, such as when you push against a wall and feel the force of the wall pushing back.

2. What is the significance of Newton's Laws in the field of engineering?

Newton's Laws play a crucial role in the field of engineering, as they provide the foundation for understanding and designing structures, machines, and systems. Engineers use these laws to calculate forces, predict motion, and ensure the safety and stability of their designs. For example, in bridge construction, engineers must consider the forces acting on the structure and use Newton's Laws to ensure that it can withstand those forces without collapsing.

3. How are Newton's Laws applied in space and astronomy?

Even in the vastness of space, Newton's Laws are still applicable. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, explains the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system. The second law is used to calculate the forces acting on a spacecraft to determine its trajectory and fuel requirements. And the third law is seen in action when a spacecraft uses the force of its engines to propel itself forward, while simultaneously pushing back against the exhaust gases.

4. What are some real-world examples of Newton's Laws in action?

There are countless examples of Newton's Laws in action in our daily lives. Some common examples include the recoil of a gun when fired (third law), the movement of a ball after being kicked or thrown (second law), and the spacing of cars on a highway to avoid collisions (first law). Other examples can be found in sports, such as the trajectory of a basketball shot (second law), or in amusement park rides, such as roller coasters (all three laws).

5. How have Newton's Laws been applied and expanded upon in modern physics?

Newton's Laws were revolutionary in their time and provided the foundation for classical mechanics. However, as technology and scientific understanding have advanced, these laws have been expanded upon and sometimes even replaced by more complex theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity. Today, Newton's Laws are still used as a starting point for understanding motion and forces, but they are no longer considered the final word in the field of physics.