Apply Nodal Analysis to the Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses applying nodal analysis to a circuit to find the power delivered or absorbed by a 3-mA source. The steps for solving the problem include labeling nodes, selecting a reference node, and applying KCL at each node. The 3 k-Ohm resistor and 10 V source create a pseudo-node with a node voltage of 10V. Ultimately, the problem is solved and the result is that the circuit delivers 0.006 W of power.
VitaX

Homework Statement

Apply nodal analysis to the circuit to find the power (released or absorbed?) by the 3-mA source.

[PLAIN]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1546/circuity.png[/CENTER]

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so firstly I have to label all the nodes in the circuit and then pick a reference node on the circuit and ground it. I chose V3 as my grounding node. Then I put the current's on the diagram as shown with the arrows indicating the direction.

What I'm having trouble with now is formulating the equations necessary to find the voltages. Ultimately it wants me to find the voltage that runs through the current source and whether it is released or absorbed.

From my reference node, V3 = 0 V. So I just need to find V1, V2, and V3.

Applying KCL at each node:

Node 1: (V1 - 0)/2000
V1 - V2 = 2

Node 2: (V2 - V4)/1000

Can you automatically say V4 = 0 V as well due to the positioning of the ground?

That is what I have so far, can someone help me brush this up a little bit to help me understand things a little more? I'm mainly confused about how to write KCL for the current going through the 3 k-Ohm resistor and the 10 V source, but I'm really jumbled on how to set this problem up as a whole in order to solve for the voltages. Any help appreciated.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nodes labelled V3 and V4 are the same node: any parts of a circuit connected by unbroken wiring belong to the same node.

The 3K resistor and 10V supply constitute a branch that contains a pseudo-node at the join of the resistor an voltage supply. It's voltage is fully constrained by the supply since the supply connects it directly to the reference node. Its node voltage is 10V, that's it, that's all!

So when writing the KCL equation for V2, you write a term such as (V2 - 10V)/3K for that branch.

I finally finished this problem. Ended with it delivers 0.006 W of Power.

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. It involves applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to solve for the unknown voltages at each node.

2. When is nodal analysis used?

Nodal analysis is used when a circuit has multiple voltage sources and when the circuit contains elements connected in parallel. It is also used to simplify complex circuits for analysis.

3. How do you apply nodal analysis to a circuit?

To apply nodal analysis, first identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, assign a variable to each unknown voltage at the nodes. Next, write equations using KCL and Ohm's Law for each node. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown voltages.

4. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is advantageous because it is a systematic and efficient method for solving circuits with multiple voltage sources and elements connected in parallel. It also simplifies complex circuits and allows for quick analysis of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is only applicable to circuits that can be represented as a network of nodes and branches. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are linear and can be represented by resistors. Additionally, nodal analysis can become more complex for circuits with non-linear elements or when there are dependent sources present.