1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A manufacturer of corrugated metal wants to produce metal roofing panels that are 28 in. wide and 2 in. thick by processing flat metal sheets."

the illustration shows that by "2 in. thick" they are referring to the distance between the crest and valley of the sine wave.
    ******************************************************************************
    "Verify that the equation of the sine wave is y=sin[(pi*x)/7]"

This is the part that has me confused.
    ******************************************************************************
    "Find the width w of a flat metal sheet needed to make a 28-inch panel."

Here they are just asking "Find the arc length of the sine wave from x=0 to x=28" yes?

2. Relevant equations
    y=sin[(pi*x)/7]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't started the problem yet, my question is how would I verify the equation of the sine wave?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2
    You lack one fact in the qiuestion, and its either the amount of periods you want on the whole panel or the width between two periods.

As evident of that equation you get 1 period per 14 inches or 2 periods total over the whole panel.

4. Mar 7, 2009 #3
    I figured it out, I hadn't noticed that the picture provided shows that the processed metal sheet completes 2 periods over the distance of 28 inches.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook