Are degrees of freedom in a molecule affected by phase change?

• Thread starter Geronimo85
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

For a molecule of water, I understand that there are 6 degrees of freedom for each of the three atoms within it; 3 translational and 3 due to the potential energy of the bonds. Is this at all affected when the water goes from solid to liquid or gas?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
For a molecule of water, I understand that there are 6 degrees of freedom for each of the three atoms within it; 3 translational and 3 due to the potential energy of the bonds. Is this at all affected when the water goes from solid to liquid or gas?
Do you think that when something that can move freely in 3D is suddenly confined to a fixed location would have the same degree of freedom?

Zz.

Nope, the number of degrees of freedom is exactly identical. 3 (xyz) per atom, giving 9 per molecule. The other way of looking at it is 3 rot + 3 Trans +1 bend +2 stretch =9 degrees of freedom per molecule.

Even in bulk ice you get those modes.