Are electron bands symmetric in the reciprocal space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the condition stated in Kramers theorem about the energy in a band and its symmetry. However, the individual finds that this condition is not always true when looking at actual pictures of band structures. The other person explains that this is because the band structure diagram takes a path through k space, and not just one direction, which can lead to different Miller indexes. This is done for educational purposes and may not show the symmetry that is being sought.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, in the lecture notes my professor gave us, it is stated that, due to Kramers theorem, the energy in a band must satisfy this condition:
$$E(-k) = E(k)$$
But, judging from actual pictures of band structures I don't find this condition to be true. Here's a (random) picture
15690962134621080100212305718610.jpg

I guess it looks "kind of" symmetric in the lower bands, but I wouldn't certainly call it that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure you know how to read the diagram correctly. The part left of the middle is actually a different direction or slice than the right half of the diagram. That is typical situation for energy band diagrams. Instead of just plotting how the energy bands go along one direction, it takes a path through k space. Often points on the path are labeled with letters like ##\Gamma##, but in your case it seems to have indicated the direction with vectors. I borrowed this diagram for education purposes. So you would not see in the diagram what happens if you keep going from M to ##\Gamma## until the end, because once you hit ##\Gamma## the path actually turns up to Z. They do this so a 2D plot can show what happens in multiple directions, but it won't show the symmetry you're seeking.
1569102881024.png

Attachments

• 1569102849758.png
    1569102849758.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 333
Likes aaroman and dRic2
1000 times thank you. I didn't even notice that the Miller indexes are different.

1. What is meant by "electron bands" in the context of reciprocal space?

Electron bands refer to the energy levels of electrons in a solid material. In reciprocal space, these energy levels are represented as bands or curves rather than discrete energy levels.

2. Why is the symmetry of electron bands important in reciprocal space?

The symmetry of electron bands in reciprocal space provides important information about the electronic properties of a material. It can reveal the presence of certain electronic states and help predict the material's conductivity and other properties.

3. How can the symmetry of electron bands be determined in reciprocal space?

The symmetry of electron bands can be determined through techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM), which allow for the visualization and analysis of the electron bands in reciprocal space.

4. Are all electron bands symmetric in reciprocal space?

No, not all electron bands are symmetric in reciprocal space. The symmetry of electron bands depends on the crystal structure and symmetry of the material, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. How does the symmetry of electron bands affect the properties of a material?

The symmetry of electron bands can greatly influence the electronic and physical properties of a material. For example, materials with highly symmetric electron bands may exhibit high conductivity, while materials with asymmetric bands may have unique magnetic or optical properties.