Area and Volume integral using polar coordinates

In summary, the range of the theta variable in polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates depends on the area being integrated over and there is no standard set of limits. Different areas will have different ranges for theta.
izzy93
Hi

I'm working on area and volume integrals. I was wondering, when you convert to do the integral in polar, cylindrical or spherical co-ordinates, is there a standard set of limits for the theta variable in each case?

for example from 0 -pi for polar, 0-2pi for cylindrical?

If not how do you set the limits?

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
izzy93 said:
Hi

I'm working on area and volume integrals. I was wondering, when you convert to do the integral in polar, cylindrical or spherical co-ordinates, is there a standard set of limits for the theta variable in each case?

for example from 0 -pi for polar, 0-2pi for cylindrical?

If not how do you set the limits?

Thankyou

It all depends, of course, on the area to be integrated over. If, for example, you want to calculate the area of the

upper semicircle [itex]x^2+y^2=R^2\,,\,\,y\geq 0[/itex] , then upon passing to polar co. you'll have [itex]0\leq \theta\leq \pi[/itex] .

Over other areas you might have have different ranges.

DonAntonio

I see, Thankyou!

What is the difference between area and volume integral using polar coordinates?

The area integral using polar coordinates calculates the area of a region in the xy-plane bounded by a polar curve. The volume integral using polar coordinates calculates the volume of a solid bounded by a polar surface.

How do you convert a Cartesian integral to a polar integral?

To convert a Cartesian integral to a polar integral, use the following substitution:
x = r cosθ
y = r sinθ
dx dy = r dr dθ

What is the formula for calculating the area integral using polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating the area integral using polar coordinates is:
∫∫R f(r, θ) r dr dθ, where R represents the region in the polar plane and f(r, θ) is the function being integrated.

How do you determine the limits of integration for a polar integral?

The limits of integration for a polar integral are determined by identifying the bounds of the region in the polar plane. These bounds can be expressed as inequalities in terms of r and θ.

Can polar coordinates be used to calculate the volume of a 3-dimensional object?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to calculate the volume of a 3-dimensional object. This is known as a volume integral and is represented by the formula:
∫∫∫R f(r, θ, z) r dr dθ dz, where R represents the region in the polar plane and f(r, θ, z) is the function being integrated.