Assume light travels from point a to b. Find the total time to get from a to b

In summary, the author tries to solve for the total time it takes for light to travel from point A to point B and gets confused by bv code and the use of superscripts and subscripts. Furthermore, the author forgot to attach a picture and explains that light always takes the path of least time.
NWeid1

Homework Statement

Suppose that light travels from point A to point B as shown in the figure/ Assume that the velocity of light above the boundary line is v1 and the velocity above the boundary line is v2. Find the total time T(x) to get from point A to point B, Write out the equation T'(x) = 0, replace the square roots using the sines of the angles in the figure and derive Snell's Law [tex]\frac{sinθ_1}{sinθ_2} = \frac{v_1}{v_2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the work I've done so far.

[tex] T(x) = \frac{\sqrt{1+x^2}}{v_1} + (-\frac{\sqrt{1+(2-x)^2}}{v_2})[/tex]
[tex] T'(x) = \frac{1}{v_1\sqrt{(1+x^2)}} - \frac{1(x-2)}{v_2(\sqrt{(1+(2-x)^2)}} = 0[/tex]
[tex] T'(x) = \frac{1}{v_1\sqrt{(1+x)^2}} = \frac{x-2}{v_2\sqrt{1+(2-x)^2}}[/tex]

And I know I have to get

[tex]\frac{sinθ_1}{sinθ_2} = \frac{v_1}{v_2}[/tex]

and I replaced the fractions with sines but the (x-2) on the right side of the equation messes up the formula, so now I'm confused.

Also! Is my latex working for you guys? What did I do wrong? lol

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NWeid1 said:
Also! Is my latex working for you guys? What did I do wrong? lol
You confused the parser by using bv code (all those and tags) inside the [tex] tag.

I think you have forgotten to find x so that T(x) is a minima.
(assuming x is the point the light hits the interface, A=(0,1) and B=(2,-1)?)

Wouldn't making T'(x) = 0 be finding a minima?

And what is the right way to type up this function then? haha

Oh okay, so finding where the function = 0 would be finding the min. so before i use the sine functions I should solve for x?

Sorry, misread .. you did do that step.
You have a pic with two triangles, and the normal drawn in and the angles?

Then, assuming A=(0,1) and B=(2,-1):
[tex]\sin(\theta_1) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex]

you do it for [itex]\sin(\theta_2)[/itex]

Aside:
Sub and superscripts in LaTeX are like this: x_1^{23}would be [itex]x_1^{23}[/itex]
For more than one character you have to enclose them in curly brackets.

Last edited:
Also, I am soooooo stupid. There is a picture I forgot to attach. Wow, sorry anyone who was confused by this lol. The pic is up now.

No worries, I stuffed up the sine in prev post.
You should be able to find the other one now.

In your last two equations, how come (x-2) instead of (2-x)? How come you get a 1 in the numerator of the first term in T' and not an x?

In the last equation, as written, does not make sense ... presumably you mean:

[tex]T'(x) = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{x}{v_1\sqrt{(1+x)^2}} = \frac{2-x}{v_2\sqrt{1+(2-x)^2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Why would

[tex]sin(\theta_1) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex]

and not just

[tex]sin(\theta_1) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/tex] ?

Look at the diagram.

By definition: [itex]\sin \theta = \frac{O}{H}[/itex]
The hypotenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex] because the opposite side has length [itex]x[/itex].

(the angle is pointing the other way to how you are used to - [itex]1/\sqrt{1+x^2} = \cos \theta[/itex].)

Ooooh ok I got it. So

[tex]\sin(\theta_2) = \frac{2-x}{\sqrt{1+(2-x)^2}}[/tex]

? or would it be negative

Ok no I got it it's [tex]\sin(\theta_2) = \frac{2-x}{\sqrt{1+(2-x)^2}}[/tex]

so then I get [tex]\frac{\sin{\theta_1}}{v_1} = \frac{\sin{\theta_2}}{v_2}[/tex]
which means we would get
[tex]\frac{sin{\theta_1}}{sin{\theta_2}} = \frac{v_1}{v_2}[/tex]

But now I am confused after reading it again and again...What am I exactly trying to find? The total time, right? So how do I use this formula it asked me to get to find the total time? Lol, I'm lost right now

Weren't you supposed to derive Snell's Law?
Isn't this what you have?

Well done!

An observation and a lesson:

In general, light always takes the path of least time. This is just a specific example.

Get the geometry right, everything else takes care of itself.

Ok, so, how can I show that this will be the minimum time to travel from A to B?

What did you find T'(x) for?

NWeid1 said:
Wouldn't making T'(x) = 0 be finding a minima?
a minimum. "Minima" is the plural of "minimum".

HallsofIvy said:
a minimum. "Minima" is the plural of "minimum".

Haha sorry, didn't mean to break the calculus rules...-.-

Related to Assume light travels from point a to b. Find the total time to get from a to b

1. How is the total time calculated?

The total time is calculated by dividing the distance between point a and b by the speed of light. This gives us the time it takes for light to travel from a to b in a vacuum.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, which is denoted by the letter 'c' in physics equations.

3. Does the medium through which light travels affect the total time?

Yes, the medium through which light travels can affect its speed and therefore the total time it takes to travel from a to b. Light travels slower in materials such as water or glass compared to a vacuum.

4. Can the total time be calculated if the distance between a and b is not given?

No, the total time cannot be calculated without knowing the distance between a and b. This distance is a crucial factor in determining the total time of travel.

5. How is the total time affected by obstacles in the path of light?

Obstacles in the path of light can cause it to deviate from a straight path, thus increasing the total time it takes to travel from a to b. This is known as optical path length and can be calculated by taking into account the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the obstacle.