1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astable Multivibrators/Oscillators

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    I have a very confusing teacher for my electronics lab, I am suppose to design an astable multivibrator with an output frequency of 5KHz and a duty cycle of 70% using a 555 timer.

Thats what I'm suppose to do in lab I have the following pre-lab questions that I can't find information for....

What is the period of the output signal? Give your answer in microseconds.

I have this formula T= 0.693 [(Ra+2Rb)C1] am I suppose to use the following frequency formula to find the values of Ra, Rb and C1. f0=1.44/(Ra+2Rb)C1 if so I don't understand.

The other questions have to deal with how long should the high be for each cycle and how long with the low be for each cycle, I can't even find a formula for that in my textbook.

Any help would help. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    What is the relationship between frequency and period. If you know the frequency is 5 kHz, what is its period?

Take a look at the link below, particularly page 4 - Astable Operation and page 8, Figure 9d Astable Timing. There are some inconsequential errors in the drawing. Rb is drawn as a short, it should be a resistor. t1 (OUTPUT HIGH) has an extra parent on the left side of Rb. Nevertheless, these formulas should give you everything you need.

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    f= 1/T I knew that part just figured to write the entire question,

i figure out that Ra= 100 and Rb= 94 and C1= 1 uf

so should I use the following formula for the high and low

high = 0.67 (Ra*C)
    low = 0.67 (Rb*C)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?