Astable Multivibrators/Oscillators

• Thread starter ckaiser813
  • Start date
In summary, The task is to design an astable multivibrator with an output frequency of 5KHz and a duty cycle of 70%. The period of the output signal can be found using the formula T= 0.693 [(Ra+2Rb)C1]. The relationship between frequency and period is f= 1/T. The high and low values can be calculated using the formulas high = 0.67 (Ra*C) and low = 0.67 (Rb*C). These formulas can be found on pages 4 and 8 of the link provided. The values for Ra, Rb, and C1 can be determined using the given frequency and duty cycle.
ckaiser813
I have a very confusing teacher for my electronics lab, I am suppose to design an astable multivibrator with an output frequency of 5KHz and a duty cycle of 70% using a 555 timer.

Thats what I'm suppose to do in lab I have the following pre-lab questions that I can't find information for...

What is the period of the output signal? Give your answer in microseconds.

I have this formula T= 0.693 [(Ra+2Rb)C1] am I suppose to use the following frequency formula to find the values of Ra, Rb and C1. f0=1.44/(Ra+2Rb)C1 if so I don't understand.

The other questions have to deal with how long should the high be for each cycle and how long with the low be for each cycle, I can't even find a formula for that in my textbook.

Any help would help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ckaiser813 said:
What is the period of the output signal? Give your answer in microseconds.

What is the relationship between frequency and period. If you know the frequency is 5 kHz, what is its period?

Take a look at the link below, particularly page 4 - Astable Operation and page 8, Figure 9d Astable Timing. There are some inconsequential errors in the drawing. Rb is drawn as a short, it should be a resistor. t1 (OUTPUT HIGH) has an extra parent on the left side of Rb. Nevertheless, these formulas should give you everything you need.

http://williamson-labs.com/555-AN170.htm

f= 1/T I knew that part just figured to write the entire question,

i figure out that Ra= 100 and Rb= 94 and C1= 1 uf

so should I use the following formula for the high and low

high = 0.67 (Ra*C)
low = 0.67 (Rb*C)

What is an astable multivibrator/oscillator?

An astable multivibrator/oscillator is an electronic circuit that generates a continuous output signal without the need for an external input. It consists of two amplifying elements (such as transistors or op-amps) connected in a feedback loop with a capacitor and two resistors. This circuit creates a square wave output with a constant frequency and no stable state.

What is the purpose of an astable multivibrator/oscillator?

The main purpose of an astable multivibrator/oscillator is to generate a continuous oscillating signal for various applications, such as timing and clock circuits, signal generation for communication systems, and as a source for pulse width modulation. It is also commonly used in electronic music instruments and as a clock signal for microcontrollers and digital circuits.

What are the advantages of using an astable multivibrator/oscillator?

There are several advantages to using an astable multivibrator/oscillator. Firstly, it is a self-triggering circuit, meaning it does not require an external input to generate an output signal. It also has a wide range of frequency and duty cycle control, making it versatile for various applications. Additionally, it is simple and easy to construct with only a few components, making it cost-effective and widely available.

What are the limitations of an astable multivibrator/oscillator?

One limitation of an astable multivibrator/oscillator is that it is not suitable for applications that require a stable output frequency, as it produces a non-sinusoidal output with a varying frequency. It also has a limited frequency range, and the output signal can be affected by external factors such as temperature and supply voltage. Additionally, it can be prone to noise and signal distortion.

What are some common types of astable multivibrators/oscillators?

The most common types of astable multivibrators/oscillators are the transistor astable multivibrator, where two transistors are used as amplifying elements, and the 555 timer IC astable multivibrator, which uses a specialized integrated circuit. Other types include the op-amp astable multivibrator, the RC phase-shift oscillator, and the LC tank oscillator. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific application requirements.