Astronaut and Satellite Separation Speeds

In summary, an astronaut of mass 74 kg exerts a force of 120 N on a satellite of mass 420 kg for 0.82 seconds. Using the equation F=ma, the astronaut's acceleration is calculated to be -9.93 m/s/s. However, the astronaut's weight is not a factor in this scenario. After further clarification, it is determined that the acceleration of the astronaut can be determined by considering the mass and force applied. With this information, the correct answer for the astronaut's velocity after separation is -8.14 m/s.
meran

Homework Statement

An astronaut of mass 74 kg pushes off a satellite of mass 420 kg, exerting a force of 120 N for the 0.82 s they are in contact.

Homework Equations

What is the speed of the astronaut after they have separated?
What is the speed of the satellite after they have separated?

The Attempt at a Solution

The astronaut's weight is -726 N. If he were to push with 120 N, the combined forces would equal -734.8 N. Therefore, from F=ma, acceleration would be -9.93 m/s/s and veloctiy (-9.93=v/.82) would equal -8.14 m/s. However, that is not the correct answer. I have a feeling something in my initial set up is wrong. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The astronaut's weight has nothing to do with it (he's in space!). You only need to consider the masses. I don't get where you got the -734.8 N from. There is only the one force acting. Other than that, I think you are on the right track.

Last edited:
How much does 120N make 74kg accelerate? Thats all you need to consider to get the accelaration of the astronaut.

Alright! I got it! Thank you so much for your help.

Related to Astronaut and Satellite Separation Speeds

1. What is the difference between an astronaut and a satellite?

An astronaut is a person who is trained and sent into space to perform scientific experiments, maintain equipment, and conduct spacewalks. A satellite, on the other hand, is a man-made object that is launched into space and orbits around a planet or other celestial body.

2. How do astronauts and satellites communicate with Earth?

Astronauts use radios to communicate with Earth while they are in space. Satellites use radio signals, lasers, or microwave transmissions to communicate with ground stations on Earth.

3. Can astronauts control satellites from space?

Yes, astronauts can control some satellites from space. They can use robotic arms or remote control systems to manipulate and maneuver satellites in orbit.

4. What is the purpose of a satellite in space?

Satellites have a variety of purposes, including communication, navigation, Earth observation, and scientific research. They can also be used for military and commercial purposes.

5. How do astronauts and satellites deal with the dangers of space?

Astronauts are trained to handle the physical and psychological challenges of space, such as microgravity, radiation, and isolation. Satellites are built with specialized materials and technology to withstand the harsh conditions of space, such as extreme temperatures and debris. Both astronauts and satellites also have safety protocols in place to mitigate potential risks.