What Velocity Cancels Electrostatic Repulsion Between Electrons?

• Thread starter Dropout
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the velocity of two parallel moving electrons (or protons) and the attractive magnetic field that cancels out the electrostatic repulsion between them. The question is raised about the world-line of a moving electron in different frames of reference and how classical electromagnetism and special relativity mesh together. The suggestion is made to move the conversation to the advanced physics forum for further discussion.
Dropout
At what velocity...(sentence)

At what velocity do 2 parallel moving electrons (or protons) attractive magnetic field equal (and therefore cancel out) the electrostatic repulsion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not in school.

After further googling and pondering, I never realized how "relativistic" this line of thinking can be.

D'oh

I guess my next question then would be, "what would the world-line of one moving electron look like, in all frames of reference, at different velocities?" Would it draw the same path?

Naturally the third question would be, "Ok, classical electromagnetism states that accelerated charged particles induce acceleration in other charged particles nearby." How would relativistic-electrostatic mesh well here, being magnetisim doesn't exist and its all special relativity?

Last edited:
You might consider posting this in the advanced physics forum, not the introductory forum... (I have no idea what you're talking about in your last post :p )

Is it C?

FAQ: What Velocity Cancels Electrostatic Repulsion Between Electrons?

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity includes the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not. This means that two objects may have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the time it takes for that change to occur. This is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

4. What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity are distance over time, typically represented as meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

5. How does velocity relate to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. This means that an object's velocity can increase, decrease, or change direction due to acceleration.

Back