Atomic Layer Deposition Reactor Design?

In summary, the conversation discusses the materials used in a vacuum reactor, specifically whether it can be made of standard vacuum metals or if it has to be quartz. It is mentioned that there are different types of reactors, such as those using molecular beam epitaxy and those using gaseous precursors. The use of different materials may depend on the reactants involved. Some examples are given, including quartz and fused silica, and it is noted that there may be other materials used in certain applications. The potential issue of fluorides or HF in quartz or silica systems is also mentioned.
SupaVillain
Is it made of quartz or stainless steel/aluminum or what? Does it matter which?that's all I need to know, I just can't seem to find if they can be made of standard vacuum metals or if they have to be quartz. Only really seen some diagrams mention quartz tubes but the pictures of large ones seem to be a large (grocery cart size) metal sphere reactor

Engineering news on Phys.org
I see now that there's ones that work off of molecular beam epitaxy and ones that work off of gaseous precursors in the range of millitorr. I am asking about the one that uses gaseous precursors, NOT MBE, as I already know that method is with a large stainless or aluminum reactor

The answer may depend on the reactants, e.g., atomic hydrogen.

Some examples:

Quartz tube reactor
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a250607.pdf

Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Diamond Materials - look for fused silica or pyrex.

http://encyclopedia.che.engin.umich.edu/Pages/Reactors/CVDReactors/CVDReactors.html

http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/users/papers/engr/ernesto/morens/EP/References/CVD%20Processes%20and%20Equipment.pdf (seem to be mostly quartz or fused silica)

I'd have to dig deep in my archives to find some examples from 30+ years ago to see if any where metal chambers. I do remember some plasma vapor deposition systems, but I don't recall the reaction chamber material. It may be the graphite or Mo were used for certain applications, but it's been decades since I looked at various processes.

I would think that fluorides or HF would be problematic in quartz or silica systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD)?

Atomic Layer Deposition is a thin film deposition technique used in nanotechnology to create precise and uniform layers of materials on a substrate. It involves a self-limiting chemical reaction between gaseous precursors and a surface, resulting in a highly controlled and conformal film formation.

2. How does an ALD reactor work?

An ALD reactor consists of two chambers, one for precursor A and one for precursor B. The substrate is placed in between these chambers and is alternately exposed to the precursors through a series of pulsing and purging steps. Each pulsing step deposits a monolayer of material, resulting in precise control of film thickness.

3. What factors influence the design of an ALD reactor?

The design of an ALD reactor is influenced by several factors, including the type of precursors used, the desired film thickness and uniformity, the substrate size and shape, and the temperature and pressure conditions during deposition.

4. What are the advantages of ALD over other thin film deposition techniques?

ALD offers several advantages over other thin film deposition techniques, such as high film uniformity, excellent conformality, and precise control of film thickness at the nanoscale. It also allows for deposition on a variety of substrates, including complex and three-dimensional structures.

5. What are some common challenges in designing an ALD reactor?

Some common challenges in designing an ALD reactor include achieving a high level of gas-phase mixing, maintaining a constant and reproducible flow of precursors, and minimizing the formation of impurities or defects in the deposited film. Ensuring efficient pulsing and purging cycles and creating a reliable sealing system are also important considerations in reactor design.