Atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential

In summary, L. I. Schiff's book discusses the derivation of the Hamiltonian from Dirac relativistic equation, resulting in the equation \left[\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+V-\frac{\hbar^2}{4m^{2}c^{2}}\frac{dV}{dr}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}+\frac{1}{2m^{2}c^{2}}\frac{1}{r}\frac{dV}{dr}\vec{S}\cdot \vec{L}\right]\Psi_{2}=E'\Psi_{2}. This equation includes a third term, which is a result of relativistic correction to the potential energy. While
QMrocks
In L. I. Schiff book, one can follow his derivation of the Hamiltonian from Dirac relativistic equation and obtain the following..
[tex]
\left[\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+V-\frac{\hbar^2}{4m^{2}c^{2}}\frac{dV}{dr}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}+\frac{1}{2m^{2}c^{2}}\frac{1}{r}\frac{dV}{dr}\vec{S}\cdot \vec{L}\right]\Psi_{2}=E'\Psi_{2}
[/tex]
where [tex]\vec{S}=(\hbar/2)\vec{\sigma}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{L}=\vec{r}\times \vec{p}[/tex].
He mentioned in his text that the third term is a result of relativistic correction to the potential energy. He also comment that this term is more difficult to demonstrate experimentally than the spin orbit energy. Can someone update me on the experimental progress on this aspect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just bumping it up to see if someone can help..

Didn't mean to ignore your question, but since I'm on vacation, I don't have access to the online journals and searches. Google Scholar works, but one really needs full access to the articles to answer your question.

Hopefully, someone else may already have a ready answer to this.

Zz.

Thanks Zapper. i tried to search the internet abt that. But i retrieve bunch of results not really pertaining to what i want. Just wondering if that 3rd term in the equation has a name? i search for 'relativistic correction to potential energy' and it does not help...

Related to Atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential

1. What is atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential?

Atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential refers to the phenomenon observed in atomic spectra, where the spectral lines shift in position due to the influence of the relativistic potential. This potential arises from the theory of relativity and affects the energy levels of electrons in atoms, resulting in a change in the wavelengths of emitted or absorbed light.

2. How does relativistic potential affect atomic spectra?

The relativistic potential alters the energy levels of electrons in atoms, causing the spectral lines to shift in position. This is because the energy of an electron is directly related to its velocity, and the theory of relativity states that the velocity of an object is not constant but depends on its surroundings. Therefore, the relativistic potential of the atom affects the velocity of the electrons, resulting in a change in the energy levels and consequently, the wavelengths of emitted or absorbed light.

3. Why is atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential important?

Atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential is crucial because it provides evidence for and supports the theory of relativity. It also helps scientists better understand the behavior of electrons in atoms, which is essential for many applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy.

4. How is atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential measured?

The shift in spectral lines due to relativistic potential can be measured using spectroscopy techniques. By analyzing the wavelengths of the emitted or absorbed light from an atom, scientists can determine the amount of shift and use this as evidence for the presence of relativistic potential.

5. Can atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential be used in other areas of research?

Yes, atomic spectra evidence for relativistic potential has applications in various fields of research, including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and cosmology. For example, it can be used to study the behavior of atoms in extreme environments, such as black holes or high-energy particle collisions, where the effects of relativistic potential are more pronounced.