Atwood's fall machine w. sylinder (again?)

In summary, Atwood's fall machine consists of two masses attached to a massless rope that spins around a wheel without slipping. The wheel is attached at its center and rotates around an axis through its center without friction. The weights move up and down the wheel, and the velocity of each weight is a function of its vertical position.
center o bass

Homework Statement

Atwood’s fall machine consists of two weight of mass m1 and m2 attached with a massless
rope running around a spinning wheel of mass M and radius R without slipping. The spinning wheel is attached at its center and rotates around an axis through its center without friction.

Find velocity of each of the weights as a function of their vertical positions.

Homework Equations

E = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that one m1 < m2 so that the system will accelerate in the direction of where m2 is hanging.

I'm sure I should be using energyconsideration here, but the only thing I'm not sure how to attack is the fact that we have two masses on each side of the wheel. What is then my total potential energy to start with? I tought about focusing my attention on the center of mass, but then I don't see how I get the individual velocity of each of the masses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi center o bass! :wink:
center o bass said:
I'm sure I should be using energyconsideration here, but the only thing I'm not sure how to attack is the fact that we have two masses on each side of the wheel. What is then my total potential energy to start with? …

You're only interested in the change in PE …

just add the changes for each mass (one will be positive, and one negative, of course). :smile:

I realize that the velocity of each of the masses must be the same. And that kinetic energy therefore goes into each of the masses individually pluss the rotational kinetic energy of the wheel. But I still don't understand how to think about the potential energy... Just sitting there at the same height, they should have a potential energy of mgh each, but then I don't get the correct andswer.

Ah...! You said it ;) Thanks alot!

Related to Atwood's fall machine w. sylinder (again?)

1. What is Atwood's fall machine with a cylinder?

Atwood's fall machine with a cylinder is a classic experiment used to demonstrate the principles of physics, particularly Newton's laws of motion. It consists of a pulley system with a hanging mass and a counterweight attached to opposite ends of a string, with a cylinder placed between them.

2. How does Atwood's fall machine work?

The hanging mass and counterweight on the opposite ends of the string create a tension force that pulls on the cylinder. As the cylinder falls, it accelerates due to the force of gravity. This acceleration causes the hanging mass to rise, while the counterweight descends. The cylinder acts as a pulley, allowing the hanging mass to rise twice as far as the cylinder falls.

3. What is the purpose of using a cylinder in Atwood's fall machine?

The cylinder serves as a pulley, allowing the hanging mass to rise twice as far as the cylinder falls. This allows for a larger difference in the heights of the hanging mass and counterweight, making it easier to measure and calculate the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does Atwood's fall machine demonstrate Newton's laws of motion?

Atwood's fall machine demonstrates Newton's laws of motion in several ways. Firstly, it shows the law of inertia, as the hanging mass and counterweight remain at rest until acted upon by an unbalanced force. Secondly, it shows the relationship between force and acceleration, as the acceleration of the falling cylinder is directly proportional to the force of gravity. Lastly, it demonstrates action and reaction, as the hanging mass and counterweight exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

5. What are the applications of Atwood's fall machine?

Atwood's fall machine has several applications, including teaching students about fundamental principles of physics, such as gravity and motion. It is also used in experiments to measure the acceleration due to gravity, as well as in engineering to test the strength and durability of materials and structures under different conditions.