How Does Mass Loss Affect Acceleration in Atwood's Machine?

So, you've got -2.112t on the top, which is negative for all t. (The sign didn't actually matter for the derivative. You just want to know when it crosses 0.)The sign doesn't matter for the derivative, but for the rate of change of the acceleration, it does. If the acceleration is increasing, the rate of change of the acceleration is positive. If the acceleration is decreasing,
ScreamingIntoTheVoid

Homework Statement

The figure shows Atwood's machine, in which two containers are connected by a cord (of negligible mass) passing over a frictionless pulley (also of negligible mass). At time t = 0 container 1 has mass 1.3 kg and container 2 has mass 2.7 kg, but container 1 is losing mass (through a leak) at the constant rate of 0.24 kg/s. At what rate is the acceleration magnitude of the containers changing at (a)t = 0 and (b)t = 3 s?

Homework Equations

f=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

**NOTE, a is not 0**
T= m1g - m2g = 26.46-12.74= 13.72
4a=13.72 (**4 is the mass of the entire system**) a= 3.43 m/s^2

Try 1:
d/dt 3.43 + 0.24t --> 0.24 m/s^3 for both a and b (which is obviously wrong)

Try 2: *Lets find a at t=3*
1.3 - 0.24(3)= 0.58

T= 26.46 - 5.684= 20.776
(3.28)a = 20.776 --> a= 6.331097561

(6.331097561m/s^2-3.43m/s^2)/3s = 0.9670325203 m/s^3 (which was also wrong)

Help please? I'm not looking for answers, I just want to know how to do this. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
a = f/m You might consider first determining the force as a function of time and then the mass as a function of time and doing the division.

Likes ScreamingIntoTheVoid
barryj said:
a = f/m You might consider first determining the force as a function of time and then the mass as a function of time and doing the division.

Thank you so much for responding.
So I got this:

a= [(26.46N) - (1.3kg - 0.24t)(9.8)]/ [(1.3kg - 0.24t) + 2.7]
a= [13.72N -2.352t]/[4 - 0.24t]

Assuming I've done this correctly, to find the rate of change of acceleration, would I just derive this and that would get me my answer or is there still something I'm forgetting?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are good so far. You can do the derivative thing or use your calculator.

barryj said:
think you are good so far. You can do the derivative thing or use your calculator..
Cool! I found the acceleration at t=0 to be 3.43 m/s^2 and at t=3 to be a=2.031707317. Are you sure I didn't do something wrong though? If the mass of 1 is constantly increasing, shouldn't my value at t=3 be larger than my value at t=0?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the acceleration as a function of time, a= [13.72N -2.352t]/[4 - 0.24t] so just take the derivative and evaluate at t = 0 and t = 3.

Your numbers look reasonable for t = 0.

barryj said:
You have the acceleration as a function of time, a= [13.72N -2.352t]/[4 - 0.24t] so just take the derivative and evaluate at t = 0 and t = 3.

Your numbers look reasonable for t = 0.
Ok. I did that with my calculator and got -0.3822000014 m/s^3 at t=0 and -0.5684116628 at m/s^3

Try again. Graph the function and then use the derivative feature 2nd,calc,6 dy/dx and see what you get (if you are using a ti-84)

barryj said:
You have the acceleration as a function of time, a= [13.72N - 2.352t]/[4 - 0.24t]
Check the sign in the numerator.

barryj said:
Try again. Graph the function and then use the derivative feature 2nd,calc,6 dy/dx and see what you get (if you are using a ti-84)
Ok. When I did that it still gave me a negative slope.

TSny said:
Check the sign in the numerator.
When I put that into the calculator I got the rates to be 1.1805 m/s^3 (t=3) and 0.7938 m/s^3 (t=0). That got marked correct, but out of curiosity how did you get a positive in the numerator?

double post

TSny and barryj thank you both for taking time to help me out!

ScreamingIntoTheVoid said:
When I put that into the calculator I got the rates to be 1.1805 m/s^3 (t=3) and 0.7938 m/s^3 (t=0). That got marked correct, but out of curiosity how did you get a positive in the numerator?

ScreamingIntoTheVoid said:
a= [(26.46N) - (1.3kg - 0.24t)(9.8)]/ [(1.3kg - 0.24t) + 2.7]
a= [13.72N - 2.352t]/[4 - 0.24t]
"Two negatives make a positive"

- (1.3 - 0.24t) = -1.3 ##\mathbf +## 0.24t

1. What is an Atwood's machine?

An Atwood's machine is a simple mechanical device used to demonstrate the principles of acceleration and force in physics. It consists of two masses connected by a string or pulley system, with one mass heavier than the other.

2. How does an Atwood's machine work?

In an Atwood's machine, the heavier mass pulls down on one side of the string, causing the lighter mass to accelerate upwards. This creates tension in the string, which is equal to the difference in weight between the two masses. The acceleration of the system depends on the difference in weight and the total mass of the system.

3. What are the factors that affect an Atwood's machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine is affected by the difference in weight between the two masses, the total mass of the system, and the friction in the pulley or string. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the masses may also have an impact.

4. How is an Atwood's machine used in physics experiments?

Atwood's machines are commonly used in physics experiments to study the principles of acceleration, force, and energy. They can also be used to calculate the value of gravitational acceleration, as well as to demonstrate the concept of mechanical advantage.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Atwood's machines?

One common misconception is that the acceleration of the system is dependent on the mass of the objects alone. In reality, it is the difference in weight between the objects that affects the acceleration. Another misconception is that the tension in the string is equal to the weight of one of the masses, when in fact it is equal to the difference in weight between the two masses.