How Do You Calculate the Unknown Mass in an Atwood's Machine?

• Thread starter Quadratic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for an unknown mass in an Atwood's machine. The known mass is 5 kilograms, the system is accelerating at 2 m/s^2, and friction and the weight of the string are negligible. After some calculations, the unknown mass is determined to be 7.56 kilograms.
Quadratic
I dislike simply having answers told to me, so I won't give the actual number values of the question. However, I need some insight on how I would solve this:

There are two masses on an atwood's machine, but only one of the masses is known (let's say 5 kilograms). I am told that the unknown mass is greater than the known mass, and that the system is accelerating at 2 m/s^2. I am also told that friction is negligible, and to assume that the string is weightless. How would I solve for the unknown mass?

edit:
I think it came to me:
2(5) + 2(x) = 9.81(x) -9.81(5)
2(5) + 9.81(5) = 9.81(x) - 2(x)
10 + 49.05 = 7.81(x)
59.05/7.81 = (x) = 7.56kg

Is that right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yup! You've got it.:wink:

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the information given and identifying the known and unknown variables. In this case, the known variables are the mass of one object (5 kg) and the acceleration (2 m/s^2). The unknown variable is the mass of the other object.

Next, I would use the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is due to the difference in the weights of the two masses.

Using this equation, we can set up the following equation:

(5 kg)(9.81 m/s^2) - (x kg)(9.81 m/s^2) = (x kg + 5 kg)(2 m/s^2)

Simplifying this equation, we get:

49.05 - 9.81x = 2x + 10

We can then solve for x by isolating it on one side of the equation:

49.05 - 10 = 2x + 9.81x

39.05 = 11.81x

x = 3.31 kg

Therefore, the unknown mass in this Atwood's Machine is approximately 3.31 kg.

Your solution of 7.56 kg is incorrect as it does not take into account the acceleration of the system. Also, it is important to note that this solution assumes ideal conditions, such as negligible friction and a weightless string. In real-world situations, these factors may affect the actual value of the unknown mass.

1. What is Atwood's Machine Question?

Atwood's Machine Question is a classical mechanics problem that involves the analysis of a system of two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley. It is often used to illustrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion.

2. What are the components of an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine consists of two masses, a pulley, and a string. One mass is suspended on one side of the pulley while the other mass hangs on the other side. The string passes over the pulley and connects the two masses.

3. What is the purpose of Atwood's Machine Question?

The purpose of Atwood's Machine Question is to analyze the motion of the two masses and determine the relationship between their acceleration, the masses, and the tension in the string. It also helps to illustrate the concepts of equilibrium and the conservation of energy.

4. How do you solve Atwood's Machine Question?

To solve Atwood's Machine Question, you first need to draw a free-body diagram for each mass and apply Newton's second law of motion to each mass. Then, use the equations of motion to determine the acceleration of the system. Finally, use the conservation of energy to find the relationship between the masses and the tension in the string.

5. What are some real-life applications of Atwood's Machine?

Atwood's Machine can be used to model various systems such as elevators, cranes, and even the human body. It is also used in experiments to study the effects of different forces on a system and can be applied in engineering and physics research.