Calculate Avg Power Output for 75kg Person Walking 100ft in 3min

In summary, the problem asks for the average power output of a 75 kilogram person walking up stairs from ground level to a final height of 100 feet in 3 minutes. There is some confusion about whether to use energy or velocity to solve the problem, but it ultimately results in the same formula. The potential energy at the top is higher than at the bottom, and the kinetic energy is zero throughout. It is important to consider the energy invested in reaching the required speed and the energy wasted if the speed is maintained all the way to the top. However, for this problem, it is safe to assume that everything in between can be ignored.
Madelin Pierce

Homework Statement

Calculate average power output for a 75 kilogram person walking from ground level up stairs to a final height of 100 feet (then stops) in a time of 3 minutes

Homework Equations

P= work/ time or P=Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was more of an energy problem where KE and PE are zero in the beginning, and then PE is m*g*h and KE is still zero. But I also think it's just finding average velocity and then finding acceleration and then power. But is distance the height though? I'm confused by all this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the kinetic and potential energy at the top compared to the bottom? How long did it take to do that?
Given the information provided how would you find velocity or acceleration?

Madelin Pierce said:
I thought this was more of an energy problem where KE and PE are zero in the beginning, and then PE is m*g*h and KE is still zero
I believe that is what is wanted. Any KE that had to be created to get going can be absorbed by "coasting" the last bit of the ascent, so there is no net expenditure on that.

DaveE said:
What is the kinetic and potential energy at the top compared to the bottom? How long did it take to do that?
Given the information provided how would you find velocity or acceleration?
Kinetic energy would be zero because the problem indicates the word stop as in rest. Potential energy is there as the person is higher above ground than before. I do think it's a P= energy/time problem

Likes DaveE
Madelin Pierce said:
Kinetic energy would be zero because the problem indicates the word stop as in rest. Potential energy is there as the person is higher above ground than before. I do think it's a P= energy/time problem
Yes.
DaveE may have been suggesting adding the KE required to go that distance in that time but a) we do not know the length of the path and b), as I indicated, the energy invested in it is recoverable.

haruspex said:
Yes.
DaveE may have been suggesting adding the KE required to go that distance in that time but a) we do not know the length of the path and b), as I indicated, the energy invested in it is recoverable.
No I was suggesting that if you compare zero KE at the beginning to zero KE at the end then you haven't stored any energy kinetically. Not so with potential energy.

DaveE said:
No I was suggesting that if you compare zero KE at the beginning to zero KE at the end then you haven't stored any energy kinetically. Not so with potential energy.
Ok, thanks for clarifying, but it is a bit subtler than you make out.
If you are taking initial KE as zero then some energy must be subsequently invested in KE to reach the required speed. If the speed is maintained all the way to the top then some KE is wasted, so there is a net cost of KE that should be included in the average power. To avoid this, it is necessary to model the process as coasting (i.e. shutting off power) as soon as the KE is enough to reach the top without further effort.

haruspex said:
Ok, thanks for clarifying, but it is a bit subtler than you make out.
If you are taking initial KE as zero then some energy must be subsequently invested in KE to reach the required speed. If the speed is maintained all the way to the top then some KE is wasted, so there is a net cost of KE that should be included in the average power. To avoid this, it is necessary to model the process as coasting (i.e. shutting off power) as soon as the KE is enough to reach the top without further effort.
Oh OK. I thought this was a homework problem. The ONLY information provided pertains to the initial and final states, I think it is safe to assume that everything in between can be ignored for this problem. However, you are absolutely correct, coasting uphill is a good way to stop.

DaveE said:
The ONLY information provided pertains to the initial and final states
Well, not quite. We know the height ascended and the time taken. This implies a minimum average speed, but since it is unlikely to be vertically upwards that would be an underestimate.

Madelin Pierce said:
I thought this was more of an energy problem where KE and PE are zero in the beginning, and then PE is m*g*h and KE is still zero. But I also think it's just finding average velocity and then finding acceleration and then power. But is distance the height though? I'm confused by all this.
You can solve this using either approach you described, they both result in the same formula. The average velocity you would use is just the vertical velocity, that is the only direction that work is done. Since there is no opposing force to the horizontal velocity component.
So P = (ΔPE)/Δt = (mgΔh)/Δt or P = F*v = (mg)*(Δh/Δt).

1. How is power output calculated for a person walking?

Power output for walking is calculated by dividing the work done by the time taken. This can be represented by the formula: Power = Work/Time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for power output?

The standard unit of measurement for power is Watts (W). In this case, the power output would be measured in Watts.

3. How do you calculate the work done by a person walking?

The work done by a person walking can be calculated by multiplying the distance walked by the weight of the person. In this case, the work done would be 100ft x 75kg = 7500 kgft.

4. What is the significance of calculating power output for a person walking?

Calculating power output for a person walking can provide insight into their overall physical fitness and energy expenditure. It can also be used to track progress and set goals for improving walking performance.

5. Can power output be calculated for other forms of exercise?

Yes, power output can be calculated for any form of exercise that involves work and time. This includes activities such as running, cycling, and weightlifting.