Optimizing Averaging Algorithms for Reliable Pressure Measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a dsa3307 Differential pressure scanner for implementing and testing averaging algorithms to ensure sufficient averaging time. The manuals for the scanner and contacting the manufacturer for questions are mentioned. The importance of reaching a quasi-steady state and determining the appropriate amount of time for averaging are also discussed. There is a mention of the need for statistical confidence and frequency resolution for spectral information. The conversation ends with a request for sources or implementation methods for averaging and determining the quasi-steady state time through experimentation.
can12345
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello everyone.
I have such a task to fullfill. I am using dsa3307 Differential pressure scanner. Can someone give me an idea? How to achieve a result for this topic.."Implementation and testing of averaging algorithms to assure sufficient averaging time"

Sincerely yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you have all the proper manuals which seem to be found below?

http://www.scanivalve.com/products/pressure-measurement/ethernet-intelligent-pressure-scanners/dsa3307-pressure-scanner-liquid-measurement/

After reading the manuals the people who make the dsa3307 might reply to your questions?

http://www.scanivalve.com/contact-us

Last edited by a moderator:
They say you can change the variable of avarage by the using AVG command example AVG 600 or AVG 3000, however my question is to understand how generally averaging is being done? I must think about time? How long time is enough so on...

Well there are several issues. First, you would need to make sure that the pressure being measured has reached a quasi-steady state. Specifically, if you have a length of tubing attached to the transducer, it will take a finite time after placing it in a flow for the correct pressure to propagate to the sensing element.

Second, once you have that, the sample being averaged itself only has to be long enough that you capture enough points that you are satisfied with the statistical confidence in the measured average. Deciding that is up to you. If you are looking for spectral information, then there are additional concerns about the number of samples and frequency resolution.

Thank you so much. Do you know any sources or implementation for it? Your answer is exactly what i was looking for also.

Sources or implementation for what?

of averaging of a specific task to get some impression. Or some ways to determine time for quasi steady pressure time with some experiment so on.

I mean, you can figure out if it has reached its steady value just by looking at the pressure signal and seeing when it stops increasing or decreasing and seems to just hover around a single value. The exact amount of time will depend on the geometry of your tubing. Averaging is just averaging unless you have some reason to use a different sort of average (and it doesn't appear that you are). You just take the mean over whatever sample of values you have after it has reached its "steady" value.

What is average pressure measurement?

Average pressure measurement is a type of measurement used in physics and engineering to determine the average force exerted by a gas or liquid over a given area.

How is average pressure measured?

Average pressure is typically measured using a device called a pressure gauge, which can be either mechanical or electronic. The gauge measures the amount of force exerted by the gas or liquid on a specific area and displays the average pressure in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What is the difference between average pressure and absolute pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total amount of pressure exerted by a gas or liquid, including atmospheric pressure. Average pressure, on the other hand, only measures the average force exerted by the gas or liquid, and does not take into account atmospheric pressure.

What factors can affect average pressure measurement?

The average pressure of a gas or liquid can be affected by several factors, including temperature, volume, and the type of gas or liquid being measured. Changes in these factors can result in fluctuations in average pressure measurements.

Why is average pressure measurement important?

Average pressure measurement is important in many industries, such as manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace, as it helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior of gases and liquids in various systems. It also allows for the accurate design and maintenance of systems that rely on pressure, such as pipelines and HVAC systems.