Average velocity practicing

In summary: It's just confusing to students who don't know what they're doing.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of average velocity in circular motion and how it differs from average speed. It also brings up the practical use of this concept and how it may be used in tests to test understanding of the concept. Ultimately, it is important to understand the difference between velocity and speed in order to correctly calculate the average velocity in circular motion.
bobie
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am just practicing and I found this problem:

A Body is moving with constant speed v along a circle of radius R. Find the average velocity of the body from time t=0 to t = R/3V.

Before I try to solve it, can you explain what it means?
If speed v is constant, isn't average v always just = v?

Thanks
btw: the answer is 3/pi v

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobie said:
Find the average velocity...If speed v is constant, isn't average v always just = v?...

Remember that velocity is different from speed. Even though a particle may be traveeling at a constant speed around a circle, its velocity is constantly changing - because its always changing direction.

Furthermore, the magnitutde of average velocity only equals average speed when the displacement is equal to the distance travelled.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
matineesuxxx said:
Even though a particle may be traveling at a constant speed around a circle, its velocity is constantly changing - because its always changing direction.

Furthermore, the magnitutde of average velocity only equals average speed when the displacement is equal to the distance travelled.

That is really interesting, matinee, but, please, tell me:

-v is constantly changing + or -? isn't the change of v always the same as curvature (the change of direction) is always the same?

- if the body travels for a radians, isn't the displacement = r? if not, how do you calculate it?

Does this all mean that the average velocity is different if t is t0 to t=R/3v or twice as much?

bobie said:
- if the body travels for a radians, isn't the displacement = r? if not, how do you calculate it?

Displacement has nothing to do with the path taken. Displacement is simply "the difference between the final and initial positions"

So if the body travels one radian? The displacement will be a bit less than r
(it will be the length of the straight or "secant" line, not the length of the arc)"Average velocity" (defined over a specific time interval) is just the total displacement divided by the total length of time.

For example, if you went around pi radians, in one second, your average velocity would 2r m/s (if r is measured in meters)
P.S.
bobie said:
-v is constantly changing + or -?
Are you asking if the velocity is decreasing or increasing? The answer is neither, the magnitude is constant. The speed is not what is changing, the direction is the "part" that is constantly changing.

Likes 1 person
bobie said:

If you know the radius, and the angle [itex] \theta [/itex] then you can calculate x with [itex] x = 2r\sin \frac{\theta}{2} [/itex]. So if a particle travels an angle theta along the arc, then its displacement is x.

Attachments

• x.png
    x.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
, if you went around pi radians, in one second, your average velocity would 2r m/s (if r is measured in meters)
Does that mean that if I travel 2pi average v is 0? that is cool!
Now in this example, the result is 3/pi , that means that v is not relevant and the average is .95493.*2 =1.9099
Let's say that R = 6m and v =2, time is 6/3*2 = 1 sec , right?
In 1 second B travels 2m, which is 1/3 R , radians : 19.1°
distance d is 2*sin 9°.549 = .33179 *6= 1.99075 /v = 0.99537
That is not 3/pi

Last edited:
bobie said:
Does that mean that if I travel 2pi average v is 0? that is cool!i

Exactly!

bobie said:
Let's say that R = 6m and v =2, time is 6/3*2 = 1 sec , right?

6/(2*3) = 1
but
6/3*2 = 4
(parenthesis are important)

bobie said:
distance d is 2*sin 9°.549 = .33179 *6= 1.99075 /v = 0.99537
That is not 3/pi
Well let's not use a specific value for r (you were using 6 for that calculation right?) let's just call it "r"

So you get 0.33179*r is the displacement. But that's only the displacement, not the average speed.

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
So you get 0.33179*r is the displacement. But that's only the displacement, not the average speed.
I have done d/v .33*6/2 = 1.99075 that's the average
but it should be 1.99099
Do you think the result given by OP 3/pi may be wrong?

bobie said:
I have done d/v .33*6/2 = 1.99075 that's the average
but it should be 1.99099
Do you think the result given by OP 3/pi may be wrong?

Oh, sorry about that. Yes I think it is.

Likes 1 person
matineesuxxx said:
Remember that velocity is different from speed. Even though a particle may be traveeling at a constant speed around a circle, its velocity is constantly changing - because its always changing direction.

Can you guys tell me if this concept of average v in circular motion is of any practical use.
Can you mention one instance when it comes in handy?

Thanks

I think the only practical use is to make it as a problem in tests, to confuse students.:tongue2:

ehild

ehild said:
I think the only practical use is to make it as a problem in tests, to confuse students.:tongue2:

ehild

I totally agree.

This is one of those types of questions that you may find on a quiz or exam to show them that you truly understand the concept, where you need to be confident in your work and not start second guessing yourself.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, a sigh of relief!

bobie said:
Can you guys tell me if this concept of average v in circular motion is of any practical use.
Can you mention one instance when it comes in handy?

Thanks
Perhaps to see if you really understand the concept of "average speed". If you are going around in circles you are not going anywhere so of course your average speed is 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Perhaps to see if you really understand the concept of "average speed". If you are going around in circles you are not going anywhere so of course your average speed is 0.

You mixed speed and velocity I am afraid. It is the average velocity that is zero if you go a full circle.

ehild

ehild said:

ehild
Actually, the concept of a vector average of "something" in an oscillatory system is used everywhere in math, physics, engineering, … :wink:

olivermsun said:
Actually, the concept of a vector average of "something" in an oscillatory system is used everywhere in math, physics, engineering, … :wink:

As for velocity, it is usually in the context that the average is zero. :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
ehild said:
As for velocity, it is usually in the context that the average is zero

Probably this concept is useful to establish that a ball rotating on a string has p = 0 (m * v = 0) ?

bobie said:
Probably this concept is useful to establish that a ball rotating on a string has p = 0 (m * v = 0) ?

The ball has velocity at every instant so its momentum is not zero. But the time average for a full period is zero.

ehild

ehild said:
As for velocity, it is usually in the context that the average is zero. :smile:
Yes, or close to it. :smile:

As you know, we're often interested in things that don't quite make it to zero. For example: average the velocity of a certain bit of water (or suspended particle) in a surface wave on the ocean.

1. What is average velocity practicing?

Average velocity practicing is a scientific method used to measure the average rate of change of an object's position over a specific period of time. It involves calculating the displacement of the object and dividing it by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity and average speed are different because velocity includes direction, while speed does not. Velocity measures the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction, while speed measures the rate of change of an object's position regardless of direction.

3. What are the units of measurement for average velocity?

The units of measurement for average velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object's position is decreasing over time, or moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. A positive average velocity indicates that the object's position is increasing over time.

5. How is average velocity used in real-world applications?

Average velocity is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, determining the average speed of a runner in a race, and measuring the average speed of a chemical reaction. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects and understand their behavior.