1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Velocity problem

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1
    I had a physics problem which I had some problem understanding. The problem is:

You plan a trip on which you want to average 90km/h. You cover the first half of the distance at an average speed of only 48km/h. What must your average speed be in the second half of the trip to meet your goal? Note that the velocities are based on half the distance, not half the time. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for your help!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2
    Just plug in the values you know to the average velocity formula and set vf to x :smile:
  4. Nov 8, 2005 #3
    yes I know that if the question had given me any values at all.. but the problem is, that was what the book has given me.. that's all the information I have.
  5. Nov 8, 2005 #4
    It is possible to solve it with the information given :wink: just think about it logically and take a look at that Vavg formula.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?