What is the Average Velocity Problem and How Can It Be Solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem where the goal is to average 90km/h on a trip. The first half of the distance is covered at an average speed of 48km/h and the question is what the average speed must be in the second half of the trip. The discussion also mentions using the average velocity formula to solve the problem.
cocoavi
I had a physics problem which I had some problem understanding. The problem is:

You plan a trip on which you want to average 90km/h. You cover the first half of the distance at an average speed of only 48km/h. What must your average speed be in the second half of the trip to meet your goal? Note that the velocities are based on half the distance, not half the time. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just plug in the values you know to the average velocity formula and set vf to x :smile:

yes I know that if the question had given me any values at all.. but the problem is, that was what the book has given me.. that's all the information I have.

It is possible to solve it with the information given :wink: just think about it logically and take a look at that Vavg formula.

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a certain direction over a specific period of time. It is usually represented as a vector quantity, with both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken for that displacement. The formula for average velocity is:
average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall velocity of an object over a certain period of time. Instantaneous velocity can change frequently, while average velocity remains constant if the object is moving at a constant speed.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if an object moves 10 meters to the left in 5 seconds, its average velocity would be -2 m/s.

5. How is displacement related to average velocity?

Displacement is the change in an object's position over time. It is directly related to average velocity, as average velocity is calculated by dividing displacement by time. So, the greater the displacement, the higher the average velocity.