Balancing Equation Homework: Tips and Techniques for Solving Equations

• Thread starter triplepie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about balancing a chemical equation with the given reactants and products. The person has attempted to solve it but is having difficulty. They ask for clarification on whether the elements and compounds change in the equation and are given advice on how to start balancing it. The steps involve balancing the Fe and S first, then accounting for the O and making necessary adjustments.
triplepie

Homework Statement

1qoa5f.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to do this

The Attempt at a Solution

Minds drawing a blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried anything so far?

4FeS + 11O > 2Fe2O3 + 8SO2
For the first one?

Last edited:
2SO2 + O2 > 2SO3

for the second one?

Can you tell me if the elements and compounds change in the equation, like do they all stay the same like gas, liquid or solid, or do any of them change?

Start with the Fe and the S and pay attention to subscripts.

You start with 1 Fe on the left but have 2 Fe on the right. Do something about this.

You start with 2 S on the left but have 1 S on the right. Do something about this.

Initially you need to balance the Fe and the S. After that, account for the O and make necessary balancing adjustments.

1. How do I determine the correct coefficients for balancing an equation?

The coefficients in a balanced equation represent the relative amounts of each substance involved in the reaction. To determine the correct coefficients, start by balancing elements that appear in only one reactant and one product. Then, balance elements that appear in multiple reactants or products. Finally, adjust coefficients as needed to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when balancing an equation?

One common mistake is forgetting to balance polyatomic ions. Another is changing subscripts to balance an equation, which changes the actual compounds involved in the reaction. Additionally, make sure to double-check the final coefficients to ensure that they are the smallest possible whole numbers.

3. How do I handle compounds that contain parentheses when balancing an equation?

When balancing equations with compounds that contain parentheses, start by balancing the elements within the parentheses first, as if they were individual compounds. Then, balance the elements outside of the parentheses. Finally, adjust coefficients as needed to balance the overall equation.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for balancing equations?

One trick is to start by balancing the most complex compounds first, as they often involve more elements and require more adjustments. Additionally, try to balance elements that appear in only one reactant and one product before balancing elements that appear in multiple reactants or products.

5. How can I practice and improve my equation balancing skills?

The best way to practice balancing equations is by doing lots of practice problems. You can find worksheets and practice problems online or in textbooks. Additionally, try to understand the underlying principles of balancing equations, such as the conservation of mass and the concept of stoichiometry, to improve your skills and approach to balancing equations.