Balancing Redox Equations with Addison-Wesley Chemistry

In summary, step 4 is to make the total increase in oxidation number equal to the total decrease in oxidation number by using appropriate coefficients.
Yaqout
Addison-Wesley
CHEMISTRY

Balancing Redox equations (pg. 607-8)

Step 4: Make the total increase in oxidation number equal to the total decrease in oxidation number by using appropriate coefficients.
Practice problem 10b.

KClO (s)==>KCl(aq) + O2(g)

When I did step 4 of this equation, I was unable to understand why and how the fraction 3/2 is put in front of the oxygen gas in the product side. And also why oxygen is chosen from all the other compounds to place the coefficient infront. I would like this point clarified because its been hindering me of comprehending and solving similar equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you please SHOW us the various steps so we will know what "step 4" is and perhaps be able to see where "3/2" comes in?

It should be clear that "KClO (s)==>KCl(aq) + O2(g)" is incorrect because the left hand side has only one oxygen atom while the right hand side has two.

It has been a long time since I did chemistry and I am not absolutely sure I remember what "oxidation numbers" are but it seems clear to me that the formula has to be
2KClO (s)==>2KCl(aq) + O2(g)
in order to balance the number of atoms on each side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for responding and sorry for being unclear, I thought you might have the textbook I named within reach so that you would be able to review the section and the practice problems better. Anyways I typed out the Steps to the best of my ability, and if there is anything unclear tell me so.

Step 1: Assign oxidation numbers to all the atoms in the equation.

decrease(+5==>-1)(REDUCTION)
-1 +5 -2
KClO3==>
+1 -1 0
KCl+O2
increase(-2==>0) (OXIDATION)

Step 2: Identify which atoms are oxidized and which are reduced..

Look at the above example.

Step 3: Use a line to connect the atoms that undergo oxidation. Use a separate line to connect the atoms that undergo reduction.

I was unable to do it here, but if you revise the textbook I named you will find it done.

Step 4: Use appropriate coefficients to make the total increase in oxidation number equal to the total decrease in oxidation number.

Here is the difficulty
Their answer is
(1)(-6)=-6
---------------------
KClO3==>KCl+3/2O2
---------------------
(3)(+2)=+6

Step 5: Do a final check to insure the equation is balanced for both atoms and charge.

The final answer:
2KClO3==>2KCl+3O2

Thanks again

Yes, now I see MY difficulty at least!

Your original post said:
KClO (s)==>KCl(aq) + O2(g)

NOT KClO3! Probably if it had not been so long since I took chemistry, I would have recognized that there is no such compound as "KClO" but that potassium chlorate is KClO3.

Okay, here's how I would "balance" that equation:

Since O2 has two oxygen atoms, if I multiply O2 by n, the right side will have 2n oxygen atoms. If I multiply the left side of the equation by m, there will be 3m oxygen atoms on the left: we must have 2n= 3m. Obviously, the simplest thing to do is take n=3, m= 2.

Given that we multiply the left side by 2, there are 2 potassium and 2 Chlorine atoms on the left and, to have that number on the right, I have to multiply KCl by 2:

2KClO3= 2KCl+ 3O2.

Although I am talking about atoms rather than "oxidation numbers", it works out to the same thing.

1. What is the purpose of balancing redox equations?

Balancing redox equations is important because it ensures that the number of electrons and atoms are equal on both the reactant and product sides, which follows the law of conservation of mass and charge.

2. How do you identify the oxidizing and reducing agents in a redox reaction?

The oxidizing agent is the species that gains electrons in a redox reaction, while the reducing agent is the species that loses electrons. This can be determined by comparing the oxidation numbers of the elements in the reactants and products.

3. What is the step-by-step process for balancing redox equations?

The following steps can be followed to balance a redox equation using the half-reaction method:1. Write the unbalanced equation.2. Identify the oxidation and reduction half-reactions.3. Balance the atoms in each half-reaction, excluding oxygen and hydrogen.4. Balance the oxygen atoms by adding water molecules to the side that is deficient in oxygen.5. Balance the hydrogen atoms by adding hydrogen ions to the side that is deficient in hydrogen.6. Balance the charges by adding electrons to the side that is deficient in negative charge.7. Make the number of electrons equal in both half-reactions by multiplying the half-reactions by appropriate integers.8. Add the two half-reactions together and cancel out any common terms.9. Verify that the equation is balanced by checking the number of atoms and charges on both sides.

4. Are there any shortcuts for balancing redox equations?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to balance redox equations. These include the ion-electron method, which involves separating the reaction into two half-reactions, and the oxidation number change method, which involves identifying the change in oxidation numbers for each element in the reaction.

5. How can I practice balancing redox equations?

You can practice balancing redox equations by using online resources, such as interactive tutorials and practice problems, or by solving problems in a redox chemistry textbook. You can also create your own redox reactions and practice balancing them using the steps mentioned earlier.