What Is the Acceleration of a 77kg Skier Traveling at 45mph Downhill?

• Thread starter benjaminwhite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the downhill skier has a mass of 77kg and is traveling at 45mph. Neglecting friction and drag, calculate the skier's acceleration.
benjaminwhite

Homework Statement

Consider the downhill skier shown at the right (just a picture of a skier, no info given in picture). The skier has a mass of 77kg and is traveling at 45mph.

Neglecting friction and drag, calculate the skier's acceleration. Explain and justify any measurements, assumptions, approximations you make.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a number of different things.

I started with a free body diagram, showing F1 moving down and to the right, w pointing straight down, and N pointing perpendicular to F1.

I then put an x y axes with the x-axis running along F1 and the y-axis along N, with W now pointing down and to the right.

I broke W into components, which didn't seem to help as I don't have enough info.
y
|N
|
|_______ x
|\ F1
| \ W
Wy | \
|_(\ <--- called this angle theta
Wx

To do that I did Cos(theta)=Wx/W
so W(cos theta) = Wx

and similary sin(theta)=Wy/W
so W(sin theta)=Wy

x | y
+F1 | +N
+W(costheta)| -w(sintheta)

I can find that N = W(sin theta) by doing

Fynet = may
ay = 0
so Fynet = 0
N - W(sintheta) = 0
N = W(sintheta)

To solve for Fxnet all I can get is
Fxnet = may
F1+W(cos theta)=max
so (F1+W(costheta))=ax

As you can see I'm pretty confused, I don't feel like that's the right answer and that I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I didn't realize my crude graphs would get garbled.

. y
. |N
. |
. |_______ x
. |\ F1
. | \ W
. Wy | \
. |_(\ <--- called this angle theta
. Wx. x | y
. +F1 | +N
+W(costheta)| -w(sintheta)

Try to draw a figure with Paint or any drawing program and attach. ehild

OK, should've attached physics.JPG

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 357
and the other

Attachments

• physics2.JPG
    physics2.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 358
Well, I am also confused, about your figures. The skier is moving downhill, does he? The forces in the free body diagram are usually drawn with respect to the slope. Is F1 the resultant downhill force?

I just show the usual figure. The skier is considered as a point mass. W is its weight, N is the normal force the slope acts on it. The vector sum of W and N is F1, and it is parallel to the slope. You have to calculate the magnitude of F to get the acceleration.

ehild

Attachments

• skier.JPG
    skier.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 351
Yes, that's how my initial FBD looks. I tilted it so only W would need to be broken into components.

When I leave it as is I can break N and F1 into components but I can't get any real number without an angle can I?

You have to break W into components which are parallel and normal to the slope. You have the angle theta in the right triangles shown in the figure. The normal component of the weight cancels with the normal force of the slope. The parallel component accelerates the skier downhill.

Ahhhh ha, I think I've finally got it. Thanks very much for your patience ehild.

So
F1= 77kg*20m/s = 1540
W= 77kg*9.8m/s = 754.6

sintheta= 754.6/1540 = 0.49
arcsin0.49= 29.34

wx = 754.6(sin29.34) = 369.74

wx = 370

a = 370/77 = 4.8meters per second

NO. You need the component of force along the incline to get the acceleration from Newton's second law, F=ma.

What you calculated, mv it is the momentum of the skier. The unit of momentum is kgm/s. The acceleration is m/s^2. g, the gravitational acceleration, is 9.8 m/s^2. The unit of force is Newton, N=kgm/^2. The weight of the skier is 77*9.8= 754.6 N. If you do not know the angle of the slope you can not calculate the acceleration. You need the force along the slope, but you can not get it without knowing the angle of the slope.
What was the original text? It refers to measurement you make. You can measure the length of the slope and the time the skier travels it from the top to bottom. Or you can get the acceleration if you know the length the skier traveled from the top and the instantaneous velocity. Read the text of the problem once more.

ehild

I wish I would've realized that quite a few hours ago. I assumed the slope was 45 degrees and that makes things much easier. Thanks! :)

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much the velocity is changing in a certain amount of time.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is a basic acceleration problem?

A basic acceleration problem involves finding the acceleration of an object given its initial and final velocity, as well as the time it took to change velocity. It may also involve finding the distance traveled during this change in velocity.

What are the units of acceleration?

The standard units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) may also be used. It is important to always check the units when working with acceleration to ensure accurate calculations.