Derivative of x^2√(9-x^2) using chain rule | Calculus problem solved

• Thread starter OtherDguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of the function f(x) = x^2 \sqrt{9 - x^2} using the chain rule. The conversation also touches upon the importance of applying ordinary arithmetic rules when computing derivatives and the use of the quotient and product rules. The participants also discuss the concept of composing and the confusion that can arise when x exists in multiple places. Finally, the conversation ends with the successful completion of the problem and gratitude to those involved.
OtherDguy
Ok, so I just entered Calculus and I'm currently stuck on a problem (no laughing).

Find the derivative of the algebraic function:

[tex] x^2\sqrt{9-x^2} [/tex]

I tried using the chain rule, but I get confused when composing because x exists in 2 places when you plug in g(x) back into f`(x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The thing to learn is that all of the derivative rules are applied just as you would apply ordinary arithmetic rules.

For example, for the function [itex]f(x) = x^2 \sqrt{9 - x^2}[/itex], how would you go about computing f(1.5)?

The first thing you would probably do is to compute (1.5)², right?

So, the first thing you should do when computing the derivative is to find the derivative of x².

Could you show what you have done on the problem? (preferably what you have done after trying to use my hint)

Last edited:
I got a bit further. Derivative [tex] x^2 [/tex] is [tex] 2x [/tex]. First, I used the quotient rule and set [tex]f(x)[/tex] to [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)[/tex] to [tex]\sqrt{9 - x^2}[/tex] then used the chain rule to find the derivative of g(x)

OtherDguy said:
I got a bit further. Derivative [tex] x^2 [/tex] is [tex] 2x [/tex]. First, I used the quotient rule and set [tex]f(x)[/tex] to [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)[/tex] to [tex]\sqrt{9 - x^2}[/tex] then used the chain rule to find the derivative of g(x)

The quotient rule really won't help here since you don't have a quotient, but you do have a product...

Err, product rule rather, sorry.

Ok, so show us how you tried to do the chain rule, and what the problem is!

(You said something about there being multiple x's, but there is only one x in your g(x))

Never mind, got it. Was quite a bit of work. Thanks to you both.

FAQ: Derivative of x^2√(9-x^2) using chain rule | Calculus problem solved

1. What is the purpose of using the chain rule in this calculus problem?

The purpose of using the chain rule in this problem is to help us find the derivative of a complicated function that involves nested functions. In order to find the derivative of x^2√(9-x^2), we need to use the chain rule to break down the function into simpler parts and then find the derivative of each part separately.

2. How do you apply the chain rule in this problem?

To apply the chain rule, we first identify the outer function, in this case x^2, and the inner function, which is √(9-x^2). Then, we take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is found by using the power rule and the chain rule again.

3. What are the steps to find the derivative of x^2√(9-x^2) using the chain rule?

The steps to find the derivative of x^2√(9-x^2) using the chain rule are:

1. Identify the outer function and the inner function.
  2. Find the derivative of the outer function, which is 2x.
  3. Find the derivative of the inner function by using the power rule and the chain rule.
  4. Multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function.

4. Why is it important to use the chain rule when finding the derivative of complicated functions?

Using the chain rule is important when finding the derivative of complicated functions because it allows us to break down the function into simpler parts and find the derivative of each part separately. This makes it easier to find the overall derivative of the function and is essential in solving more complex calculus problems.

5. Can you provide an example of how to use the chain rule in finding the derivative of x^2√(9-x^2)?

Example: Let f(x) = x^2√(9-x^2). We can rewrite this as f(x) = x^2(9-x^2)^1/2. Using the chain rule, we identify the outer function as x^2 and the inner function as (9-x^2)^1/2. The derivative of the outer function is 2x, and the derivative of the inner function is 1/2(9-x^2)^-1/2(-2x). Multiplying these two derivatives, we get the final result of f'(x) = 2x(9-x^2)^-1/2(-2x) = -2x^2(9-x^2)^-1/2.

Back