1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Derivative

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    Ok, so I jsut entered Calculus and I'm currently stuck on a problem (no laughing).

Find the derivative of the algebraic function:

[tex] x^2\sqrt{9-x^2} [/tex]

I tried using the chain rule, but I get confused when composing because x exists in 2 places when you plug in g(x) back into f`(x)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thing to learn is that all of the derivative rules are applied just as you would apply ordinary arithmetic rules.

For example, for the function [itex]f(x) = x^2 \sqrt{9 - x^2}[/itex], how would you go about computing f(1.5)?

The first thing you would probably do is to compute (1.5)², right?

So, the first thing you should do when computing the derivative is to find the derivative of x².

Could you show what you have done on the problem? (preferably what you have done after trying to use my hint)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    I got a bit further. Derivative [tex] x^2 [/tex] is [tex] 2x [/tex]. First, I used the quotient rule and set [tex]f(x)[/tex] to [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)[/tex] to [tex]\sqrt{9 - x^2}[/tex] then used the chain rule to find the derivative of g(x)
  5. Feb 6, 2006 #4
    The quotient rule really won't help here since you don't have a quotient, but you do have a product...
  6. Feb 6, 2006 #5
    Err, product rule rather, sorry.
  7. Feb 6, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, so show us how you tried to do the chain rule, and what the problem is!

(You said something about there being multiple x's, but there is only one x in your g(x))
  8. Feb 6, 2006 #7
    Never mind, got it. Was quite a bit of work. Thanks to you both.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?