1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Elecricity

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    Can someone please check my answers here, there are loads of formulaes been give that I haven't used so I'm not sure if they are right or not, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The first problem (resistors in series) is done correctly, but the second (resistors in parallel) is not. Recalculate the total resistance in that second circuit. Hint: When resistors are in parallel, the total resistance will be less than that of any single resistor.

4. Oct 29, 2006 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The total resistance of resistors in parallel can be calculated with

[tex]\frac{1}{R_p} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} [/tex]

this can be changed to

[tex]R_p=\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex]

5. Oct 29, 2006 #4
    When I do that I get 6x2 = 12ohm 12ohm/8 ohms = 1.5 ohms, is that right?

6. Oct 29, 2006 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Yes. That seems to be it.

7. Oct 29, 2006 #6
    Am I right in thinking that if you have a 12v battery and short it the current would be very high?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  8. Oct 29, 2006 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Not neccessarily. The amp-hours rating is a complicated affair. It is the amount of current it can supply (chosen for "normal" [designed] operating conditions) for a certain set period (I think it is normally for 20 hours, but I might be wrong) before the battery is completely drained and dies out. So you might get more out of it for a shorter period but only to a certain limit (everyone has his limitations!).

9. Oct 29, 2006 #8
    Ok I think I'm not sure If I've got this right. I worked out I1 and I2 using fractions.

Attached Files:

10. Oct 30, 2006 #9
    Anyone?.........

11. Oct 30, 2006 #10

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Rethink your answer for C (the total current).

12. Oct 30, 2006 #11

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The current through the 2 ohm resistor is the current through all of the circuit since

[tex]I = I_1 + I_2[/tex]

So [tex]I[/tex] will be be determined by the total resistance of the circuit and the voltage of the power supply.

13. Oct 31, 2006 #12
    Ok we went through that question today and I got A-F right but G was 0.9A.

14. Oct 31, 2006 #13
    12/5 does not equal 1.2, maybe you sent us the wrong version of the problem, or the teacher did it wrong

15. Oct 31, 2006 #14
    Ah sorry I put 12v instead of 6, doh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?