Basic Electricity: Learn Basics of Electricity

• Thread starter Energize
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elecricity
In summary, the student got A-F correct, but G was incorrect because it was calculated using the wrong voltage.
Energize
Can someone please check my answers here, there are loads of formulaes been give that I haven't used so I'm not sure if they are right or not, thanks.

Attachments

• homework.JPG
    homework.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem (resistors in series) is done correctly, but the second (resistors in parallel) is not. Recalculate the total resistance in that second circuit. Hint: When resistors are in parallel, the total resistance will be less than that of any single resistor.

The total resistance of resistors in parallel can be calculated with

[tex]\frac{1}{R_p} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} [/tex]

this can be changed to

[tex]R_p=\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex]

andrevdh said:
The total resistance of resistors in parallel can be calculated with

[tex]\frac{1}{R_p} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} [/tex]

this can be changed to

[tex]R_p=\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex]

When I do that I get 6x2 = 12ohm 12ohm/8 ohms = 1.5 ohms, is that right?

Yes. That seems to be it.

Am I right in thinking that if you have a 12v battery and short it the current would be very high?

Last edited:
Not neccessarily. The amp-hours rating is a complicated affair. It is the amount of current it can supply (chosen for "normal" [designed] operating conditions) for a certain set period (I think it is normally for 20 hours, but I might be wrong) before the battery is completely drained and dies out. So you might get more out of it for a shorter period but only to a certain limit (everyone has his limitations!).

Ok I think I'm not sure If I've got this right. I worked out I1 and I2 using fractions.

Attachments

• homework2.JPG
    homework2.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 325
Anyone?...

Rethink your answer for C (the total current).

The current through the 2 ohm resistor is the current through all of the circuit since

[tex]I = I_1 + I_2[/tex]

So [tex]I[/tex] will be be determined by the total resistance of the circuit and the voltage of the power supply.

Ok we went through that question today and I got A-F right but G was 0.9A.

12/5 does not equal 1.2, maybe you sent us the wrong version of the problem, or the teacher did it wrong

Ah sorry I put 12v instead of 6, doh.

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is caused by the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles.

How is electricity generated?

Electricity is typically generated by converting a form of energy, such as chemical, mechanical, or solar, into electrical energy. This can be done through various methods, such as generators or solar panels.

What are the basic components of an electrical circuit?

The basic components of an electrical circuit include a power source, wires, and a load. The power source provides the energy, the wires conduct the electricity, and the load is the device that uses the electricity.

What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity flows in both directions, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is used in most household and commercial applications, while DC electricity is used in batteries and some electronic devices.

How can I stay safe when working with electricity?

To stay safe when working with electricity, always make sure to turn off the power source before touching any wires or electrical components. Wear protective gear, such as rubber gloves, when working with electricity and avoid working in wet conditions.