Basic Electric Field and Symmetry Problem - help

In summary, a ring of charges with a uniformly distributed charge of + 1 microCoulombs has an electric field of 2.0 m away along the x-axis.
fatcat39

Homework Statement

24 identical positive charges, each has a magnitude 2.0 microCoulombs equally spaced along a circle with a radius of 0.4 m which lies in the y-z plane.

a)determine the electric field at a point 1 meter away from the circle's center along the x-axis.

b) Find the electric potential at the point P

c) What is the electric field and potential at the circle's center?

Homework Equations

E = kQ/R^2
V = kQ/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that symmetry applies, but I'm not sure exactly how.

A) 2 sigfigs
Positive - radiate outwards to point P
E = kQ/R^2
- Should I calculate the charge for each individual charge for 12 of them and multiply that answer by 2?
- Or can I calculate the field for one and multiply by 24?

C) The electric field at the center of the circle is 0, I think, because the charges cancel each other out.

D) But does that mean that the potential at the center is 0 as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Since you have 24 identical positive charges, this means that you actually have 12 pairs, each pair lying at the end of a diameter. Can you calculate the electric field of eah pair. Hint: You have to and vectors.

2) For the circle's center. The potential is a vector or a scalar?

1) So with each pair: the y-components cancel each other out. But the x-components are doubled, yes? And then the electric field of that is multiplied by 12?

2) The potential is a scalar, so...hmm..

fatcat39 said:
1) So with each pair: the y-components cancel each other out. But the x-components are doubled, yes? And then the electric field of that is multiplied by 12?

Correct!

2) The potential is a scalar, so...hmm..

...so find the potential of one of the charges and multiply by 24.

Okay, so ...

Pythagorean theorem
.4^2 + 1^2 = 1.16
[tex]\sqrt{1.16}[/tex]

A) E = 2 * kQ/R[tex]^{2}[/tex] * cos [tex]\vartheta[/tex]
12 pairs --> 12 * 11525.91754 = 138311.0105
E = 1.4 * 10[tex]^{5}[/tex] N/C

B) V = kQ/R
24 V = 24 * 9 * 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] * 2 * 10[tex]^{-6} / [tex]\sqrt{1.16}[/tex] = 401101.93
= 4 * 10^{5} V

C) Electric field at circle's center = 0 = Symmetry

D) Electric potential at circle's center =

24V = 24 * 9 * 10^9 * 2 * 10^-6 / .4 = 1080000 = 1.1 * 10^6

Can you check these please? Thanks so much!

A) E = 2 * kQ/R * cos
12 pairs --> 12 * 11525.91754 = 138311.0105
E = 1.4 * 10 N/C

I am not sure that's correct, but my calculations are terrible! :smile:

I think the cosine part might be off...Hmm.

[tex] \cos\theta=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1.16}}[/tex], yes?

Why isn't it cos theta = .4/sqrt 1.16?

Because the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is between the axis x and the line joining point P and a charge. Isn't it?

Isn't it between the z-axis and the line between P and a charge? I'm drawing that out of an example in my textbook, but the sample charges it showed were + 1 and - 1, not 2 positive charges. Would that make a difference?

You said that point P is

1 meter away from the circle's center along the x-axis

That's why I said x-axis.

I guess I'm a little confused about where the triangle is, because the picture I have, z is vertical, x is horizontal, and y is halfway between them - so I thought that the triangle has legs of z for the base and 1.0 m as the height for P. But still, isn't theta (if you visualize the isoceles triangle) one of the two identical base angles?

Thanks so much for helping me.

Ok, orget the axis!
Let's call the center C, point P is point P :smile: and the charge under investigation is point Q and let's call [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle formed by CP and PQ.

The electric field is along QP and makes with CP the same angle [itex]\theta[/itex].
The compontents that survive are along CP, and the cos is given by

[tex]\cos\theta=\frac{CP}{PQ}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1.16}}[/tex]

Is it clear now? :smile:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...okay. :) Thanks a lot!

One more quick question:
"A thin ring of the same radius has a uniformly distributed charge of + 1 microCoulombs. What is the E field 2.0 m away along the x axis?"
N approaches infinity = number of points to form the ring
E = (N/2) (kQ/R^2) cosine theta

Does that work? And if it does, what do I substitute for N if N has to approach infinity?

Since we have a uniformly distributed charge, call it [itex] Q[/itex] we split it in N point charges [itex] q=\frac{Q}{N}[/itex].
Then for one pair we have

[tex] E=2\,k\,\frac{q}{(QP)^2}\,\cos\theta \RightarrowE=2\,k\,\frac{Q}{N\,(QP)^2}\,\cos\theta [/tex]

Thus the total electric field

[tex]E_t=\frac{N}{2}\,E\Rightarrow E_t=k\,\frac{Q}{(QP)^2}\,\cos\theta [/tex]

Theta being 2/ sqrt(4.16), right?

(LaTex doesn't work so well on my computer)

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by a vector at each point in space, with its direction indicating the direction of the force and its magnitude indicating the strength of the force.

2. What is the basic equation for electric field?

The basic equation for electric field is E = F/q, where E represents the electric field, F represents the force, and q represents the charge.

3. How is electric field affected by symmetry?

Symmetry plays an important role in determining the electric field. In symmetrical systems, the electric field can be simplified by taking advantage of symmetry to reduce the number of calculations needed.

4. How do you solve a symmetry problem in electric field?

To solve a symmetry problem in electric field, first identify the symmetry present in the system. Then, use the appropriate electric field equation for that particular symmetry to calculate the electric field at a given point.

5. Can you give an example of a symmetry problem in electric field?

One example of a symmetry problem in electric field is a point charge located at the center of a spherical conducting shell. Due to the symmetry of the system, the electric field at any point outside the shell is zero, and the electric field inside the shell is equal to the electric field from the point charge.