Basic one dimensional kinematics problem, need conceptual help

In summary, the conversation discusses using an equation to estimate the average acceleration of a baseball during a throwing motion. The question is raised about the validity of using this equation and it is clarified that it is appropriate to use since the question asks for an estimate of the average acceleration.
OneTimePad
Hello all,

I just came across a problem that I had previously solved. A relatively simple one. What I do not understand though is why I can use the equation that I have used so many times in this particular situation. Here it is:

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher throws a baseball with a speed of 41 m/s. Estimate the average acceleration of the ball during the throwing motion. In throwing the baseball, the pitcher accelerates the ball through a displacement of about 3.5 m, from behind the body to the point where it is released.

2-41fig%20alt.gif

V0 = 0 m/s
Vf = 41 m/s
d (Xf - Xi) = 3.5m

Homework Equations

Equation for motion at constant acceleration:
( Vf2 - V02 ) / 2d = a

The Attempt at a Solution

412 / (2*3.5) = 240.14 m/s2

My question is: Why can I use this equation in the first place? Aren't these equations only valid if the acceleration is constant? Where in the problem does it suggest that the 'average acceleration of the ball during the throwing motion' is indeed constant?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It says in the question: "Estimate the average acceleration of the ball during the throwing motion."

So you use formulas that would work if the acceleration were constant.
The result would "estimate" the actual average acceleration.

Oh, I see now. Thanks

1. What is one dimensional kinematics?

One dimensional kinematics is the study of motion along a straight line, where the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object are described using only one coordinate axis.

2. What are the basic equations used in one dimensional kinematics?

The basic equations used in one dimensional kinematics are:
- Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
- Velocity: v = v0 + at
- Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t

3. How do I solve a basic one dimensional kinematics problem?

To solve a basic one dimensional kinematics problem, you need to identify the given values (position, velocity, acceleration, time) and use the appropriate equation(s) to solve for the unknown value. It is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of the object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives a snapshot of its motion at a specific point in time.

5. Can an object have a non-zero velocity and zero acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a non-zero velocity and zero acceleration. This occurs when the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, where the net force acting on it is zero. In this case, the object's velocity is constant, but it is not accelerating because there is no change in its velocity over time.