Calculate Elongation of Spring Given K, Mass & Density

In summary: You need to find the elongation of the spring. The equation for elongation is Ho=Kx. So in this case, you would solve for Ho by dividing F=-kx by K.
dban33

Homework Statement

How do I find the elongation of a spring when just given K=119 N/m, mass of the wooden block it is attached to=4.17kg and the densty of the wooden block = 695 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

I do not know what equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not been able to make an attempt because I do not know what equation to start off with.

Physics news on Phys.org
dban33 said:

Homework Statement

How do I find the elongation of a spring when just given K=119 N/m, mass of the wooden block it is attached to=4.17kg and the densty of the wooden block = 695 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

I do not know what equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not been able to make an attempt because I do not know what equation to start off with.

You had the correct equation the first time you posted the question.

dban33 said:

Homework Equations

The equation I was trying to use was Fx=-kx
I do not think this is correct because my answer was wrong.

I'm curious why you multiplied 4.17 by 695?

Well I am trying to find the elongation of the spring. So the correct equation is F=-kx?
Does that mean that I change it to solve for x?? x= F/-k
I do not kno how to find the force for the equation if I only have the mass and density of the wooden block the string is attached to. I am completely lost!

dban33 said:
Well I am trying to find the elongation of the spring. So the correct equation is F=-kx?
Does that mean that I change it to solve for x?? x= F/-k
I do not kno how to find the force for the equation if I only have the mass and density of the wooden block the string is attached to. I am completely lost!

The density of the wooden block has nothing to do with this problem.

What is the formula for calculating elongation of a spring?

The formula for calculating the elongation of a spring is:
Elongation = (Force / Spring Constant) * (Mass / Density)

What are the units of measurement for the variables in the elongation formula?

The units for force are newtons (N), the units for spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m), the units for mass are kilograms (kg), and the units for density are kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

Can the elongation formula be used for any type of spring?

Yes, the elongation formula can be used for any type of spring as long as the mass and density are constant and the force is applied in a linear manner.

How do I determine the spring constant (k) for a specific spring?

The spring constant can be determined by applying a known force to the spring and measuring the resulting elongation. The spring constant can then be calculated using the formula:
Spring Constant = Force / Elongation

Is there a limit to the amount of force that can be applied to a spring using the elongation formula?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force that can be applied. The spring will reach its elastic limit, where it can no longer return to its original shape, and the elongation formula will no longer be accurate. It is important to be aware of the elastic limit of the spring being used.