1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Basic QM] Potential step & particle flow, my answer is inconsistent ?

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flow of particles collides with a potential step. The potential is zero for x < 0 and a certain value [tex]V_0[/tex] for x > 0.
    The flow of particles comes in from the left (x<0 area).

One of the questions is to give the general form of the wavefunction in the area x > 0 and to find an expression for the wavenumber k.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} + V_0 \psi = E \psi[/tex]
    (For x > 0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I first write the schrodinger eq. into a more general form:
    [tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} + (V_0 - E) \psi = 0[/tex]
    [tex]- \frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} + \frac{2m (V_0-E)}{\hbar^2} \psi = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} - \frac{2m (V_0-E)}{\hbar^2} \psi = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} - k^2 \psi = 0[/tex]

So
    [tex]k^2 = \frac{2m (V_0-E)}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

And the solution are complex exponents due to the minus-sign (they would be real exponents if it was a plus sign):
    [tex]\psi (x) = A e^{ikx} + B e^{-ikx}[/tex]

Now, when I look at the answer, I noticed that they also use complex exponents, but their k was different:
    [tex]k^2 = \frac{2m (E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
    (E-V instead of V-E)

This is a pretty important error because:

In my case: If E > V, the particle is 'above the potential step' and thus it should be a complex exp. (sin/cos). But, if E > V then k becomes complex, and the exponents become real!
    If E < V, the particle is 'inside the potential step' and thus it should be a real exponent (as usual with penetration in classically forbidden area). But, if E < V then k is real and the exponents stay complex!...

Obviously I made an error with a minus sign somewhere, but I honestly can't find it..!?

I also tried switching the minus sign for a plus sign (and swapping the E and V again obviously) to get:
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} + \frac{2m (E-V_0)}{\hbar^2} \psi = 0[/tex]
    So now, my k is in accordance with the answer (E-V), but because of the + I get REAL exponents, and if E > V, k is real and the exponents stay real (wrong), and if E < V, k is complex and the exponents become complex (wrong)...???

I can't figure it out...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

This is where things went backwards. The solution to
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} = k^2 \psi[/tex]
    is
    [tex]\psi (x) = A e^{kx} + B e^{-kx}[/tex]
    with no [tex]i[/tex] in the exponents. In order to get the other form we should define
    [tex]k^2 = \frac{2m (E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
    so that
    [tex]\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} = -k^2 \psi.[/tex]

This is the answer "they" get (and has the right behavior for [tex]E > V_0[/tex], [tex]E < V_0[/tex]), but you can easily check the signs just by substituting [tex]\psi[/tex] back into the differential equation.

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    Omg... You're completely right of course. I checked and re-checked that, and I was actually under the impression that the solution to
    [tex]y'' - k^2y = 0[/tex]
    had complex exponents and the solution to
    [tex]y'' + k^2y = 0[/tex]
    had real exponents... It's the other way around of course. Can't believe I mixed them up, must have been the holidays hehe...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?