Basic Question about Relativity Reference Frame Shifts

In summary, in Shankar's introductory physics course, there is a setup of Relativity with two observers, S and S', where S' is moving past S with a velocity u. While they agree on their time origin, the x origin of S' is shifted to the right relative to the x origin of S due to its velocity. The question arises as to why this shift occurs instead of a stretch. However, it is clarified that the x origin of S' is continuously moving to the right as time passes.
tesla111

Homework Statement

I'm using Shankar's Introductory Physics course and I can't get a question out of my head regarding his setup of Relativity.

There are two observers, S and S'. Observer S is stationary, while Observer S' is sliding past S (to the right) with velocity u. They agree to set their origin of t=0 at the moment when Observer S' passes Observer S. Shankar states that while the two observers will agree on their time origin, the x origin of Observer S' will be shifted to the right relative to the x origin of Observer S, by virtue of the fact that Observer S' is moving.

My question is a very simple conceptual question. Why does the x origin of Observer S' experience a point shift due to its velocity? Wouldn't it make more sense for Observer S' to experience something more like a stretch, in which Observers S and S' agree on the starting point of the x origin (the x origin of S), but due to the velocity of S', the x origin of S' covers a stretch of distance in that span of time versus just a point?

For example, if I were on a train and someone were on the ground, and we agreed to press a stopwatch the moment we passed each other, intuitively I can't figure out why that would simply mean that I pressed my stopwatch at a distance 3 feet (just as an example) from where he pressed his stopwatch.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The x origin of observer S' is moving relative to the x origin of observer S. While they align at time t=0, the x-origin of observer S' moves further and further to the right as time passes.

phyzguy said:
The x origin of observer S' is moving relative to the x origin of observer S. While they align at time t=0, the x-origin of observer S' moves further and further to the right as time passes.
Now I get it. I misunderstood how he presented the problem. Thank you!

Related to Basic Question about Relativity Reference Frame Shifts

1. What is a reference frame in relativity?

A reference frame in relativity is a system of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of objects. It is a tool that allows us to understand the relative positions and movements of objects in space and time.

2. How does a reference frame shift occur in relativity?

A reference frame shift occurs in relativity when an observer is moving at a constant velocity relative to another observer. This causes a difference in the perceived time, length, and mass measurements between the two observers.

3. What is the significance of reference frame shifts in relativity?

The significance of reference frame shifts in relativity is that it challenges the traditional notions of absolute space and time. It suggests that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames, and that the perception of space and time can be altered based on an observer's relative motion.

4. Can reference frame shifts be observed in everyday life?

Yes, reference frame shifts can be observed in everyday life. For example, the time on a clock in a moving vehicle will appear to be slower to an observer outside the vehicle, and an object moving at high speeds will appear shorter to an outside observer.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity incorporate reference frame shifts?

Einstein's theory of relativity incorporates reference frame shifts through the concept of spacetime. It suggests that space and time are interconnected and can be affected by an observer's relative motion. This theory allows for the prediction and understanding of reference frame shifts in various scenarios, such as the famous twin paradox.